Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A split second of stupidity.......

A split second of stupidity.......

Normally I am extremely careful in the shop,but today I made a huge mistake and did
    some real damage to my arm. I never take my guards of anything,always wear a
    respirator, wear tight shirts and always tuck them in, and always use push blocks.
    Today I was milling some a load of wood for a bar top for my son when my grizz
    combo jointer planer quit feeding. I took it apart to find the chain came off. I put in
    back on and it immediately fell off again. I took it all apart and found the problem.
    Luck has it I had the parts from when I first bought the unit 10 years ago and had
    some trouble with the same thing brand new. Grizzly sent a bunch of parts I didn’t
    use. Just so happens these were exactly what I needed. After putting it together i
    turned it on WITHOUT the guards on to make sure it was running o/k. All good I’m
    happy. One more quick check with it on again. I lean in a little and in a nano second
    the spiral cutter head grabs my shirt sleeve and ripped my forearm into it. I new instantly
    what happen and ripped my arm as the machine kept trying to pull me back in. No way
    that was happening. I pulled so hard I ripped my shirts to threads. Needless to say my arm
    looks like hamburger. Moral of the story.. let’s be carful out there.

Oh my. I hope your arm heals quickly and completely.

Thanks for the safety reminder - we all can NEVER be reminded too often.

JKJ

Hope your tail is wagging again soon.

Simon

So sorry to hear this Rick. I hope your arm comes out of it alright.

Oh, my...I'm so glad (as you likely also are) that you had the reaction time and ability to pull your arm back before it got truly pulled into the cutter head with an even worse result! Heal quickly!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Harrowing experience. Thanks for posting. We can all use reminders to play safe.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

hair raising experience. So sorry this happened to you and I hope you heal soon.

Wow! As serious as it is it could have been a life changing event. It is anyway but not as badly as it could have been. Hopefully there is no damage done that is going to require surgery. Take care of yourself and keep us posted on how your doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Wow! As serious as it is it could have been a life changing event. It is anyway but not as badly as it could have been. Hopefully there is no damage done that is going to require surgery. Take care of yourself and keep us posted on how your doing.
    That’s what has me shook up. I personally know 2 people in the last 3 years who lost fingers and part
    of a hand, 1 on a table saw,1 on a chop saw. That’s why I’m so very careful. One quick lapse in judgment and
    BAM, a split second later the damage is done. Luckily no surgery,didn’t go to e.r. . Just lots af big gauze pads
    and tape. I think I was lucky it was spiral head instead of a knife. Arm looks exactly like the spiral layout
    on the head about 6 inches from the elbow down. Burns like hell though. Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Holy HE double hockey sticks! That’s sounds traumatizing! I once (stupidly) wore gloves while using the DP and it pulled my hand in, and super strength kicked in and I tore my glove off and bent the 3/8” bit. The sudden rush of blood shook me so bad it practically made me pass out afterward.

That’s peanuts compare to what you just have felt from a jointer planer cutterhead. Glad you are okay, relatively. Be safe everyone!

Wow!!!!!
    Great hearing you're okay. That had to be scary few seconds.
    About that arm. Watch for infection my friend. First sign go see the Doc'!!

Get well and be careful.
    My reaction to your post is like when I get a catch on the lathe.

Geez, very scary, glad you still have most of your forearm. Great reminder to work safe around these machines, thanks for sharing the experience.

WOW, glad you got away with only that damage. I just put a spiral head on my jointer and man, will I be careful to stay well away from it now! Hope you heal soon!

The question that pops up in my mind is why did the problem with the chain occur (twice)?? Was it a malfunction of parts, or just an inferior design? America's apparent love for cheap, import tools may come with a price. Had the chain not come off...

Glad to hear it wasn't worse.