Thread: Word wall intro and request

Word wall intro and request

Hi,

My name is Chris Thain. I would like your help with Japanese tools, specifically chisels and planes.

Long time lurker, but new member. I apologize for the abruptness of a word wall, one of many you guys must receive. Time is not my friend, and I am becoming more direct. Talking personally to people is easier than messages, I think, and the efficiency of communication and flow of conversation is becoming as rare as hen's teeth, but that may say more about me than the general feeling in a good forum. For brevity's sake, I am a late beginner to hand tools, but have some experience whittling and sharpening carbon knives. I'm not much of a self-salesman, so I'm not sure what else to say in an introduction.

Directly, I want to buy quality Japanese chisels and a few planes. I am interested in people and their stories, but only interested in names where they can lead me to quality. Show over tell, and function over form, if I am making sense. My partner says I must make sense, but she hasn't figured out where yet.

I am putting together a small tool selection for me now, and for my son soon enough. The idea being to use, make, and learn while I can, and leave him a selection of solid quality tools for the future. Not in a framed, shrine, brought-out-on-holiday way - not that there is anything wrong with collections and obsessions - , but in a useful, personal way, that would give to him a bit of the late-found joy, pleasure, and sometimes frustration, in working by hand with tools meant for doing that. No gilt, only craft. I don't have gilt, and I am just starting on the craft part.

It is my understanding that you guys know a lot about Japanese tools, and that some of you have personal connections to smiths who still do things in a proper way. I would say price is no object but my wallet and wife would disagree. I am on a budget of sorts, but would rather have a few quality items than a lot of bad ones. Canadian money looks like monopoly dollars and spends about the same. It is a rainbow of almost money .

Long way around the barn to ask for help, I suppose. I won't harrass you if you don't respond or decline, and I mean it, but you can't know that, I guess. If you can help in some way by source or advice, you can message me here, or PM me. I appreciate any assistance. I've read a lot about it, here and elsewhere, and my only concrete information is that my Japanese pronunciation is butchery, and that the pride and skill demonstrated by the makers of all things from many places is awesome!

Thank you!

Chris

Welcome Chris!

While I may not be of much help to your current question, I will be following along as I have been interested in what a basic set of Japanese tools would be for general woodworking. There are certainly a few on this forum that are prolific with their posts and appear solid in their knowledge of Japanese tools and practice. I’m confident a free will weigh in.

Happy Holiday!

Blog Entries
    Howdy Chris and welcome.

None of my experience is with Japanese tools. If you are curious about Stanley bench planes then my help is there to share.

Good luck, there are a few users of Japanese tools that will likely see your post after the holidays.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hi Chris.

I found that there are several on here that use Japanese tools on a regular basis, look for Derek Cohen, Jessica De Boer, Brian Holcombe, and older posts by Stan Covington.

Thank you all for the welcome, and Happy Holidays to you, too!

I'm afraid I'm not a purist, so Stanley planes have a place in my semi-minimalist tool set. I like what works but I do avoid most large power tools - lack of experience rather than attitude. I did restore a Stanley #5 - post-war, I think - and it makes shavings, although it doesn't always translate my intentions, haha! A #4 and block plane of undetermined lineage were not so lucky, and my amateur restoration merely made them cleaner. I am resigned to purchasing a few to get going on some projects.

Thanks again, all. Any help is appreciated. There is a lot of material here, and inbound in book format, and online in general. Sorting opinions, facts, and so on, is daunting for a beginner, let me tell you. Upside, learning is fun, and making things is great fun. My partner is keen on having something to show for the fun, so I'll take all the help I can get!

Cheers!