Thread: Are these posts worth going after?

Are these posts worth going after?

Sorry if this post is in wrong place. And excuse the typo in the title. Should say "are"

They are 8x8 and 6 foot sticking out of the ground. They are obviously quite old and beaten down by the Arizona sun.

Thoughts?
    20181224_163748.jpg
    20181224_163743.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Costa; 12-24-2018 at 8:07 PM.

Looking close it appears that that post has a bunch of well organized perforations. That would likely indicate that it is pressure treated wood. Not knowing what it has been treated with I would pass personally.

Going after for what? If you plan to try to mill them, make sure you have a metal detector and use it often.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Going after for what? If you plan to try to mill them, make sure you have a metal detector and use it often.
    Yea...this for sure. I missed two nails yesterday when milling some old barn beam material for a table base and, well...my Tersa knives paid the price.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They look like railroad cross ties to me. If that is the case, then you will find cresote in the middle. They look good right where they are to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    They look like railroad cross ties to me. If that is the case, then you will find cresote in the middle. They look good right where they are to me.
    While they might be railroad ties they are smaller than typical. But in Arizona with the lack of moisture and freezing and thawing cycles they might have been intended for railroad ties. There isn't any indication they were ever used as ties. No visible spike holes or plate wear. Not sure what the OP is wanting to salvage them for. Often the most deterioration occurs right at ground level. If he just wants them for a rustic appearance they might be good for that. However the below ground portion will not look anything like the weathered above ground portion. Railroad ties are typically oak.

I agree RR ties. Do they have date nails? You will be lucky if they are not creosote. I would say shipping to Lebanon from Arizona would be very impractical. Much better to find something like that in the middle east and drive to pick it up. You will save thousands on shipping, hotels, food etc.
    Bill Dufour
    USA

Do you mean for woodturning? Wear a full facesheield.

Otherwise they might make nice fence posts.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Otherwise they might make nice fence posts.
    And full organic filter respirators to cut the creosote taste. Creosote kills bugs and disease from the plant. What do you thin kit does to people who breathe it in or swallow the dust? Then there are the churches in Norway?
    Bill D
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-25-2018 at 4:33 PM. Reason: fixed post tagging

My thought was for something rustic.... what, I have no idea. But based on what I've read so far, they will mostly likely stay put since I have no intended use for them as of now.

The thought of turning something did cross my mind.

[QUOTE=Bill Dufour;2880038]
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

Otherwise they might make nice fence posts.[/QUOTE
    And full organic filter respirators to cut the creosote taste. Creosote kills bugs and disease from the plant. What do you thin kit does to people who breathe it in or swallow the dust? Then there are the churches in Norway?
    Bill D

I'm confused. I live in Arizona and these a 5 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I agree RR ties. Do they have date nails? You will be lucky if they are not creosote. I would say shipping to Lebanon from Arizona would be very impractical. Much better to find something like that in the middle east and drive to pick it up. You will save thousands on shipping, hotels, food etc.
    Bill Dufour
    USA

Your posts do not state a location. So i was going by last name.
    Also the part below and near the ground is likely to have soaked up lots of minerals which will make sawing hard. No obvious swelling near the ground so not to much has soaked in yet.
    Bill