Thread: Glow in the dark inlay?

Glow in the dark inlay?

I'm looking to make a wizard's wand for my grandson. Ideally, I would like to inlay it with a material that would glow in the dark. Any ideas?
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I recall seeing some pen blanks advertised as Glowstone or Moonstone or something like that. They'd glow in the dark for a while after being charged up by sunlight or a bright flashlight

Craft supply sells the powder to $4.95 for 1/2 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pack View Post
    I'm looking to make a wizard's wand for my grandson. Ideally, I would like to inlay it with a material that would glow in the dark. Any ideas?
    One problem with glow-in-the-dark material of any kind is it needs to be charged with light and only glows for a short time.

It would be tricky to make from wood, but imagine a wand with a hollow handle for batteries and an LED light in a translucent acrylic tip. I haven't checked but I suspect someone has already made these from plastic - if so, salvaging some parts from one might be a good start on one made from wood.

JKJ

Not really glow in the dark, but black locust glows under a black light.

I think Rustoeum sells a glow in the dark paint, but it is a bland color in regular light.

I don't know of any acrylics that glow, but there probably are some.

I once saw a powder that glowed in the dark offered for sale on line, but can't recall where, The powder that is glow in the dark, could be added to resin to fill in spots. maybe this: https://www.technoglowproducts.com/b...iABEgI3j_D_BwE

Look for bicycle valve stem lights. I forget the thread size, but a Google will find you a tap and die. The valve stem caps light up with movement and have replaceable batteries.

To make I use a 5/6" aluminum rod that I threaded one end and inserted the other end in a drilled hole in the wood blank. To "fancy" it up, do an inside out turning as a cover. I found these to be very fragile, so I made some out of brass for the grandkids. Making the cover out of wood or brass, just follow the inside ornament process.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Not really glow in the dark, but black locust glows under a black light.
    Black locust, honey locust, albezia, red heart, others.

Just for fun, this is redheart and honey locust under 365nm UV light.
    UV_3_redheart_locust.jpg

Great information! Thanks, folks!
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I've been making wands for the holidays, and watched a video where someone mixed glow powder with scratch-free wax. They took a torch to the wood, then a wire brush to remove the soft parts, then used the glow mixture to fill in the cracks. I tried to substitute something else for the wax, and it didn't turn out, but the wand in the video looked great.

This glow-in-the-dark process works for me: Moon Glow acrylic sheet and pre-cut dots (Google it). Very dense and will dull HSS tools quickly, but the material will glow brightly for an hour or two with just a few minutes of light exposure. Photos attached of a couple spintop examples.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Best,
    Ed D.