Thread: Tantalus Liquor cabinet

Tantalus Liquor cabinet

Last year I was looking for more information on a whiskey cabinet from Thomas Jefferson‘s Montecello. Just trying to get some better pictures as how it was put together. In the course of those searches, up came a couple of pictures of a whiskey decanter cabinet called a Tantalus.
    It is called that after the Greek mythological figure. The one that is stuck in a pool of water that as soon as he bends to drink, the level goes down and he cannot quench his thirst. Similar to that, this cabinet will allow you to see the decanters, but you cannot take them out unless it is unlocked. Ostensibly, so that the hired help can’t be helping themselves to your fine whiskey.
    So, after I downloaded some of the images, and got some measurements, I came up with a design. The hardest part of this was coming up with the hardware for the hidden latch for the drawer. I had a couple of ideas, but nothing concrete. I did end up making the latch out of the 3/16” brass and a rolled steel pin. (Don’t have any pictures of that, I will add some later.) I also had a couple of sleepless mornings trying to come up with a simple way to actuate the latch with a spring loaded button in top. Then I was perusing the Lee Valley site seeing what they had for hardware and saw plans for a machinist’s tool chest. They had a hardware kit for part of the locking mechanism. Almost perfect. I did have to cut them down, and solder the top button to the rod, but it worked for what I wanted.

webDSCF7192.jpg webDSCF7193.jpg
    Closed - Opened

webDSCF7194.jpg webDSCF7195.jpg
    Secure - Available

webDSCF7196.jpg webDSCF7197.jpg
    Secret button - For 'hidden' drawer

webDSCF7198.jpg
    Drawer Inserts are removable.

I also tried a new to me finish. Started with a yellow/orange dye, then a walnut stain, then a wash coat of shellac, dark brown wax, another coat of shellac, and finally, because alcohol and shellac mix very well, a coat of water base finish. And a final wax for a polish.

Very interesting design, certainly can’t have anyone taking the fine liquors.

Blog Entries
    A very nice piece that would looking great setting on a buffet or sideboard. Thanks for all the detail on your well thought out design and finish. Can you tell us more about how you modified the plunge-lock to secure the drawer? Normally these are spring loaded and depressed when the lid is closed. Does yours open somehow when the "button" is depressed or is that just how I am interpreting the pictures?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

How ironic!!! I just finished one too! I saw one at an antique store and was intrigued. Thought it would be a fun and challenging project.

Here's mine. It is mahogany. I made all the brass hardware. I used a small lock from Rockler.

DSC_4896 (Small).JPG

DSC_4905 (Small).JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Leonard View Post
    I just finished one too!
    Oh, OK. This clears up a lot of confusion. When Jay posted his, I thought it was Tony's and wondered how I could have mis-remembered it so badly from last time I saw it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A very nice piece that would looking great setting on a buffet or sideboard. Thanks for all the detail on your well thought out design and finish. Can you tell us more about how you modified the plunge-lock to secure the drawer? Normally these are spring loaded and depressed when the lid is closed. Does yours open somehow when the "button" is depressed or is that just how I am interpreting the pictures?
    Thanks for the comment. Yes there was a bit of skull sweat that went into the latch.

Yes, you have to press the button to open the drawer. I cut the pin to length and drilled a hole in the button to match the pin. Then I soldered the button to the pin. I drilled a hole from the top of the divider that matched the diameter of the button, and another hole in the bottom for the insert. Then I drove the insert in from the bottom high enough so that the button was flush to the top. You have to make sure the hole for the button is deep enough so that you can insert the pin from the top and install the C clip on the pin. Then you put the spring on the pin and put the divider on the floor. This should get your pin flush with the top of the divider.

Maybe some more pictures will help.

web2.jpg
    This is the finished latch. The lever fits flush when installed.

web6.jpg
    This is how the pin fits into the divider. There is a hole drilled from the top to allow the button to be pressed. One of the inserts is installed in the divider.

web9.jpg
    And one is installed in the floor.

web10.jpg
    Once you have the insert in the divider, you need to adjust it so that the button is flush with the top of the divider.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Leonard View Post
    How ironic!!! I just finished one too! I saw one at an antique store and was intrigued. Thought it would be a fun and challenging project.

Here's mine. It is mahogany. I made all the brass hardware. I used a small lock from Rockler.

DSC_4896 (Small).JPG

DSC_4905 (Small).JPG
    Looks good. What did you use for cutting the brass?

A CNC router. It was quite a learning process and I'm still not confident with it. My first few tries didn't work out so well. Between holding the brass down and breaking bits.... Pleased with the final result though. I used a small metal brake from H.F. to do the bending.