Thread: King stone grit/micron size

King stone grit/micron size

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to one and all,

Am constructing a chart in my little shop to show how to, while sharpening, interchange my various systems.

Yes, I'm one of those foolish people who succumbed to the hype and got different media over the years. Mostly Shapton.

The backbone of my chart is the micron size of the particle; there are other factors involved in effective "grit" size....but I'm focusing on the actual size of the particle in the media.

The following link has a great chart:

https://www.gritomatic.com/pages/grit-chart

Since am unable to find this information, anyone have knowledge of the micron-size particles of the King Waterstones: 800, 4K, and 8K?

They from LV, who does not give such information-for a good reason?

Thanks all,
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

LV does post this info.

Vincent

I think the 1.5 is supposed to be Sigma 10,000, and 1000X is a mistake.

Grit size alone doesn't come close to telling the whole story though. As an example, whatever grit the King stones start out as, don't stay that for long, with maybe the exception of their 300 stone, which is not really like their other stones.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-24-2018 at 2:30 PM.

*** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Blog Entries
    Here is another chart if anyone cares:

Stone, Belt, Paper Grit Comparison 2013.pdf

The JIS (Japan Industry Standard?) numbers seem to be the unifying factor between the different charts.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I think the 1.5 is supposed to be Sigma 10,000, and 1000X is a mistake.

Grit size alone doesn't come close to telling the whole story though. As an example, whatever grit the King stones start out as, don't stay that for long, with maybe the exception of their 300 stone, which is not really like their other stones.
    Tom,

Yes LV has had this misprint for a while. The 1000 grit one does exist though. They may have fixed it for newer catalogues but this mistake was being reprinted for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to one and all,

Am constructing a chart in my little shop to show how to, while sharpening, interchange my various systems.
    Overthinking run amok. Just get a coarse and fine, or coarse medium and fine system and be done with it. Don't get caught up in preparing to work wood, get caught up in working wood.