Thread: Nova 1624 motor

Nova 1624 motor

I have a Nova 1624 that I have used very little and while turning a bowl a couple weeks ago the shaft twisted off. Teknatool support seems to be avoiding me. But I’m wondering if I can replace the shaft or do I need to replace the whole motor. If the latter is the case is there a cheaper motor that would fit this lathe? Replament motor is close to $500 so if that’s the case I’ll just save for the DVR upgrade. If anyone has gone through the upgrade and has a used motor for sale please let me know. Also what would cause a shaft to twist off?image.jpg

You will have to replace the motor but may not have to buy it from Teknatool. Some lathes use a special motor and some use standard motors. Look at the nameplate for these items:
    * rpm (probably 1750 +-)
    * Frame size (two or three numbers and possibly some letters)
    * HP
    If you can find a motor with the same frame size and about the same rpm, it will work. You probably want a motor with the same HP rating but this not critical to replacement. Frame size covers mounting bolt location, shaft size, shaft length etc.

Justin, where are you located? I have a spare Nova 1624 motor, but shipping costs might be too much.

Also, someone was recently selling a DVR motor for $350 in the classifieds. Not sure if they still have it.

If you have a place that rebuilds electric motors in your area it might be worth checking with them and seeing if it can be rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yathin Krishnappa View Post
    Justin, where are you located? I have a spare Nova 1624 motor, but shipping costs might be too much.
    I’m located in SE IA

I have the motor you need. Did an up grade several years ago. In good running order. Located in eastern Washington. You may have had excessive belt pressure . PM me for more info.
    C&C WELCOME

Looks like around $50 to ship from NY for a zip in SE IA (I just used a zip from Iowa city). I'm back home on the 1st, so I can only ship next week. If you're interested then please PM me and we can discuss.

Looks like I cannot reply to your PM because of recent changes to membership privileges. If you choose to become a contributor, I'll be happy to discount the price of the motor by whatever amount you pay to become a contributor...

You can message me on my cell at 712-870-1542. It’s much easier to get ahold of me. I find myself on here only on the weekends. I’m usually up at 2:30 leave for work around 3 and get home between 6+7 so I don’t have free time except for the weekends