Thread: RE: final Touches on Sam Maloof chair joints

RE: final Touches on Sam Maloof chair joints

Hello Project Finishing Experts. Am new here on this forum and would appreciate some assistance; advice.

I am about half way of making a Cherry low back chair a la Sam Maloof. Most joineries are spot on; tight, close and snug
    however some areas have hairline gaps that need to be filled.

I have tried using its sawdust mixed with either T88 epoxy or Titebond glue... however once cured the color doesn't seem to match the surrounding Cherry wood color due to it getting darker leaving an obvious off color hairline.

Does anyone have a trick in alleviating this problem sans building another new leg joint?

Thank you in advance.
    Achtung: Schlau Holz

The best filler is always slivers of the same wood...no "glue and sawdust" or commercial filler is going to disappear like real wood will. Yes, it's tedious work, but in the end, you'll no longer see the gap(s).
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you Jim

Agree and I have thought of it and tried, but one must also follow the grain so that the final coat of oil usually absorbs differently which way the grain flows. It's tedious and have tried to no avail.

Happy Holidays

Match the grain direction of one side of the joint...whichever is easier for you to create the slivers. Yes, it's hard. But any filler is going to show no matter what. Nature of the beast.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My Maloof Rocker was Claro Walnut and I used T88 but colored it black with their black coloring agent. It worked well.

Two Rocker Pics.jpg

Hi Larry

Hmmnn,,,, should have thought of that. That would have been great. Thank you, but too late as all have been glued shut. Might have to Dremel all glue line joints and then fill the spaces with what you used. This is my first project.

Thank you

Elmer

If the joints are fitted and glued, then the only way you can hide gaps is by filling and painting. I understand that you have filled some, so I suppose that the remaining cracks are hairline. In that case your finish may fill them somewhat, and the paint may also fill them somewhat.

Go ahead and finish the chair and let the finish cure. You cannot match a color that you cannot see. Then buy some pre-tinted wood filler in colors that you can blend to match the color of he place you want to hide. Fill any depressions you can't stand with that mixture. If that is not sufficient you can buy some acrylic artist paint in colors that you can blend to match the color of he place you want to hide. I usually go for classic earth colors like raw and burnt sienna and umber. Get some very fine brushes while you are there. Blend your acrylic paint to match and paint over the wood filler. You can also use wax crayons made for the purpose of repairing wood, although I have very little experience with them.

Test whatever system you choose on scrap before you touch the chair

Doug

Doug.

Thank you all Gentlemen for your great advice. Making slow process on the Cherry low Back chair.

Happy Holidays to all and a prosperous healthy Anno Nuevo.