Malcolm started a thread about an A/C energy monitor which got me to thinking about turning some equipment on and off, mainly the DC. All of our power equipment have motors which, if I recall correctly, have a high startup current. When I work in my shop, like most of you I presume, we try to plan as much of the work at one time at a particular machine like a jointer or table saw and leave them running.

Then I started to realize that I turn my dist collector on and off a fair amount, even if it's only going to be a minute or two before I have to turn it on again. It's a 3 HP cyclone and it sits on the other side of an insulated wall so the noise isn't too bad. But it's just a habit I got into years ago with a smaller DC.

I was wondering if anyone has done even a basic analysis to determine if the DC were going to be off for some minimal time would it be better energy use wise to just leave it on. I know places like millworks and cabinet shops leave their's on for the whole shift but what about us hobbyists. I'd like to hear what others do.