Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A New System of Joinery

Thats really cool. I did not know that pet plastic is heat shrink. Thanks to Jim and Ms. Pedros for showing that to me. I am quite certain that it will become handy for something, at some point...(not woodworking, though, I am pretty sure).

Spent 8 yrs, making Pepsico Bottles from PET.....Injection molding machine, making preforms....that were then reheated, and blow-molded into a bottle shape....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Spent 8 yrs, making Pepsico Bottles from PET.....Injection molding machine, making preforms....that were then reheated, and blow-molded into a bottle shape....
    When I was a kid my best friend's father worked for a company that made some of the first 64oz (not 2L then) bottle. The preform? looked like a large test tube with the fully formed full sized screw tops at the top. Do they still look this way?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yep....even the water bottle ones...and even the 3Litre ones. Machines were made in Canada...Husky. Then cooled for at least 24 hrs, then ran on a French made SIDEL Blowmolder.....The company I worked for re-designed the large bottles, so the black plastic "feet" were no longer needed...

Any and all rejects were also ground up, and added back into the systems...

There was at least one preform machine...cycle times were 10-12 seconds...144 parts.

If only Benjamin Braddock had known, he wouldn't have wasted his time driving back and forth across the S.F. Bay Bridge (in the wrong direction some of the time) chasing Elaine, and made his fortune in plastics. Then she'd have been chasing him.

It was always hard for me to feel much sympathy for him as a poor, lost soul, considering the car he was driving back and forth; the lad came up in money. I know, even the rich can suffer; but there's a whole different suffering when you're broke.

This is a great example of an innovative idea! Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I am thinking of possible use of clamping irregular pieces while gluing...
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Brilliant. I look forward to the second part of this when someone finds a way to make it cleverly aesthetic.
    See the link below for Part II where this Scottish maker is using a more refined version of the joinery for his 3D printed furniture designs. Very interesting

https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/348...rniture-design

Edwin

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    See the link below for Part II where this Scottish maker is using a more refined version of the joinery for his 3D printed furniture designs. Very interesting

https://ultimaker.com/en/stories/348...rniture-design

Edwin
    The furniture made with recycled bottles may be more aesthetically pleasing to some folks than the pieces with 3D printed parts.

Maybe the big box stores could have the joinery pieces molded in China, then sell home furniture kits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

A real "MacGyver." Good for a lot of emergency situations.

I don't consider myself a "Green", but I really like ideas that re-purpose things rather than throw them away. This joinery obviously isn't fine craftsmanship, but I think it's extremely clever and usable for things that need to be functional but not attractive. I also like one of the other suggestions here to use it as a temporary way to hold parts in place.

This was cool Jim. Thank you!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Just recently China reduced the amount of plastic they were taking from the US from 50% of our waste stream to maybe 10%. This means that a lot will go to landfill or fires or worse. We should applaud this inventive use and try to think up new ones.

This method would work to assemble temporary garden structures; fences, plant supports, bird proof shelter etc.

The company I retired from a few years back....has a plant up in Medina, OH. All recycled plastic bottles were shipped there....they sort, grind, and package the plastic back up....and sell the "regrind" for use in new bottles. Most of the Pepsico Products I made were 70% Virgin, 30% regrind.....even the colours were partly regrind. Ever see thin blue streaks in a Mountain Dew bottle? Regrind from the blue Propel bottles were blended into the green regrind....