Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new ROS

Looking for a new ROS

I have used my PC 390 happily for years. I like the low profile and low vibration transmission. Its a bit heavy and I feel like I'm fighting the rotor dynamics. But still, its been reliable. I'd like something smaller. Lighter. But with same power. Saw the Festool ETS 125 REQ. Want to keep 5" pad. My work is mostly acoustic guitars. Regarding dust collection, I like the 390 DC. Is there similar with Festool? I really do not care about dragging a hose and vacuum around.

Is Stickfix same as hook and loop? If I buy a Festool sander, do I have to buy their paper? Or can I use stuff like Mirka hook and loop, etc.?

Mike
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 12-23-2018 at 5:12 PM.

Dust collection is excellent with the Festool sanders...designed from the ground up for that...and they are comfortable and vibration free. That's why I originally bought them. If you buy the "correct" version of the 5" unit, it can also be used with a 6" pad should you ever have that need. And yes, "StickFix" is hook & loop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I have been reading about the paper. Seems Festool paper is highly regarded, readily available (like from my fav store Klingspor) and has a special hole pattern. So just sticking regular 8 hole on may not work. As long as paper is high quality, Im good. Here are my questions:

Is the 125 a great sander given that my work is over small area (acoustic guitars)? When sanding these things, there are lots of orientations involved, and my arms get tired with heavier sanders. Oh, what is "correct" version?

Would i be better off using a vacuum?

Mike

Check out the latest FW review: https://www.finewoodworking.com/2018...-orbit-sanders which puts Craftsman 320-39592 ($55) as best value and Festool RO 125 FEQ as best overall. A lot of people like the ETS though for finish sanding.

I always use my sanders (Festool or other brands) with a vac/dust extractor (Festool's terminology), and the mesh sandpapers seem to work best. No longer do I need to align the holes, and the dust collection improves with the mesh design.

First, keep in mind the ETS 125 is a short stroke (2mm) finish sander, people have bought it that are not happy with the speed of removal, if a finish sander is what you need it is great. The ETS EC 125 3mm sander is a much more versatile sander and being brushless it is more powerful and the ergonomics is much better and is also lightweight and has even lower vibration. It can also accept a 6" pad if you desire but is certainly more expensive than the ETS 125.

Regarding discs the Festool abrasives are excellent but Klingspor and others make paper with the correct hole pattern. That said I use net abrasive (must use an interface pad which is now available from Festool). I have used Mirka Abranet for years but recently Festool and Klingspor have started selling net abrasive discs. Home Depot even has Diablo net abrasives but I have not tried them.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Festool abrasives are good as are the choices from other vendors. The correct hole pattern is very important for dust extraction, including the center hole that you'll see on abrasives made for Festool sanders.

Van already explained which version is likely the better choice for overall versatility.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

On this note I went to the store on Friday to buy a 125 or a 150 and really wanted to. I have heard nothing but great things about the festool sanders so I was really surprised at how much vibration, how loud they were, and how awful they sounded. They both seemed to sand fine and the dust collection on the 6" with the newer pad design appeared to be about a 100 percent, the 5" wasn't as impressive on the dust collection but still really good. I have to be honest, while the sanders were really good I couldn't see them being worth 5-650 dollars. My basic Makita that's 15 years old isn't great in anyway and I really wanted to upgrade but just couldn't see the value in it.

Some points and thoughts I think worth noting:

The 125REQ and 125EC both weigh the same.

Festool in not so many words requires the use of a vacuum on the EC models. Part of the reason the electronic wizardry is on them that detects a vacuum hose.

I have both and find the EC best for really large panels, doors, ect..... I wouldn't use it on guitars. Once the hose is connected it becomes a lot less maneuverable for me. Even though it's a lot shorter and has a brushless motor like your PC, I doubt you'll find it beneficial around guitar parts. The 125req is really a sweet little sander except if you're using it for stock removal. 120-320 grit and you're good.

I think dust collection is kinda a necessity for all sanding. It saves the abrasives, the pad, and it's just cleaner. Bosch makes a tiny 19mm diameter antistatic hose that is really nice and maneuverable for sanders.

Highly suggest you try them out at Klingspor or another dealer before you pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    On this note I went to the store on Friday to buy a 125 or a 150 and really wanted to. I have heard nothing but great things about the festool sanders so I was really surprised at how much vibration, how loud they were, and how awful they sounded. They both seemed to sand fine and the dust collection on the 6" with the newer pad design appeared to be about a 100 percent, the 5" wasn't as impressive on the dust collection but still really good. I have to be honest, while the sanders were really good I couldn't see them being worth 5-650 dollars. My basic Makita that's 15 years old isn't great in anyway and I really wanted to upgrade but just couldn't see the value in it.
    Based on price you were looking at the dual mode Rotex sanders not the single mode ROS. They are a completely different beast (2 handed at that) than the ETS and ETS EC ROS. For a fair comparison, you need to look at the Makita and Bosch dual mode sanders. Compared to the ROS the dual mode sanders (of all brands) have more vibration, are louder and have a growl, especially in gear-driven mode. They are great for high volume removal (in gear-driven mode) but they really aren't very user friendly for jobs you would normally use an ROS for.

The ETS sanders are objectively quieter and have lower vibration based on EU testing than basically all ROS (of similar size) except the Mirka and Surfprep/Airvantage sanders.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by keith micinski View Post
    My basic Makita that's 15 years old isn't great in anyway and I really wanted to upgrade but just couldn't see the value in it.
    All ROSs regardless of brands and prices work in the same principle, though some may be designed for more aggressive needs and with better control or features. Festool sanders are more pricey partly for their systainers, brand value etc. The FW review reached the conclusion that all sanders tested did the sanding job. Dust collection, vibration etc. were covered in the review.

I was surprised by its finding about the Craftsman sander which was almost 1/10 of a Festool! Although I have had enough sanders including Festool ones and others, I might pick up a Crapsman...oops, Craftsman to try it out. At least it wouldn't be too expensive a paper weight if the experiment failed, it could become a favorite loan tool foo my neighbors.

Simon

Well, after reading all of this and studying the Festool website, the only obvious choices are the ETS 125 REQ and the ETS EC 125/3. The former has a slightly smaller orbit and the latter has a slightly larger orbit than my PC 390. I really like the fact that I do not have to use DC with the 125REQ. Maybe a good place to enter the market? Newbie question, do I need anything else? I do not understand that plug. Edit: Never mind, I see there are different versions based on country.
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 12-24-2018 at 9:46 AM.

The ETS 125 is a great sander as long as the short stroke works for you. The only thing you need beyond the sander and accessories that come with the sanders is sandpaper and whatever dust collection you intend to use.

Van, this is driving me crazy. I can see where I would need the short stroke and the larger one too. I suppose that pushes me towards one of the dust collectors. What I am thinking is when I sell one of my guitars, I'll put part of the sale towards the 2 sanders and a DC. So, what DC? ( I went through this agony when I bought my Fuji turbine... that tool changed my product quality in amazing ways!). I'm hoping I will see similar quality improvement with these sanders. All I have read says that they ALL benefit from powered DC. -Mike

Are you sanding wood or finish? A 2mm orbit will be horrific for sanding wood, but great for finish