Thread: Chess board turntable

Chess board turntable

My daughter asked for a turntable to use with various game boards. I decided to make the turntable into a game board as well. Cherry and maple grid and picture frame. Grid is laminated to 1/4 BB plywood and fits into dadoes in cherry frame (panel in frame). 12 inch lazy susan attached to panel on bottom.

20181223_143248.jpg
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 12-23-2018 at 3:46 PM.

Very nice Pat. What is your finish on the wood?

Really nice, Pat. Another curious question; did you glue down the square veneer pieces individually, or glue up a block and slice off the strips?

Thanks!

1st I resawed some 3/4" maple and cherry and planed them to ~ 3/8 thickness. Then ripped those to 2 inch width and thickness planed them to slightly over ~ 1/4" thickness. Edge glued 8 strips, alternating maple and cherry. Then crosscut the lamination to 2" width ( this took me quite a while to setup the crosscut sled to get exact matching widths for each strip and to match the 2" prelamination strip width). Then, edge glued those crosscut strips, flipping every other piece to get checkerboard. At the same time, I glued these strips to a 1/4" thick BB plywood which was oversized by about 1 inch all around. After this assembly was complete I ripped some thin strips of maple ~ 1/4" square and fot those strips with mitered corners around the checkerboard. The outer frame is cherry with a groove about 3/4" deep to accept the BB plywood. The cherry is glued to the plywood in the center of each side and the mitered corners which are also splined for a little extra insurance. Here's hoping it stands the test of time.

Finish was BLO, then, about 3 coats of Minwax watebased Polycrylic semigloss (maybe it was gloss -- I'll need to check the label when I get home next week).

Really sweet . . .

Nicely done. I know what it’s like working to get everything lined up. The end result was certainly worth it.

Thanks everyone!