Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-4-5 Square Clarification when squaring boards, items, plywood, etc...

3-4-5 Square Clarification when squaring boards, items, plywood, etc...

Is there an easy way to square a plywood panel or "trapezoid" piece of lumber using the 3-4-5 method? I thought i could simply draw two lines, measure using the 3-4-5 method (or construction master calculator using rise/run/ diagonal) I squared up several cutting boards today and a couple were quite painful... meaning i would be off by 1/16 on one end... I finally got there, but it took me awhile!

Where/how do i start when trying to do this when i don't have a factory edge?

Take a look at the example below. not a square corner on it...

TOP WIDTH is 15 5/8 "
    Bottom Width is 16 1/2 "

Left hand Height is 10 1/8
    Right hand Height is 10 1/2

How would you go about making this square?

20181223_021059140_iOS.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Joint one side, Table saw to make the long sides parallel. Radial arm saw, miter saw, or sled/miter gauge on TS to make the other sides perpendicular.

Could also do a number of Other things after the TS rip. Clamp a straight edge, use a good square to align, and flush cut with a router for instance.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 12-22-2018 at 10:42 PM.

You have to have on 90deg corner for 3-4-5 to work. That's the first step, no matter what tool or process you use. In my case, I'd put it on the TS sled and cut one corner. RAS, miter saw, or framing square and handsaw will also work. Then do the 3-4-5 layout from that corner.

Take it to my slider. Piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Combs View Post
    You have to have on 90deg corner for 3-4-5 to work. That's the first step, no matter what tool or process you use. In my case, I'd put it on the TS sled and cut one corner. RAS, miter saw, or framing square and handsaw will also work. Then do the 3-4-5 layout from that corner.
    You don't need a 90 degree corner, you need a starting point and one straight edge. Start at one corner, measure up the straight edge at a unit of 3 and mark a point, then take a trammel and set it at a unit of 4 and make an arc with the pivot point at the first corner. Now set the trammel to 5 and strike an arc with the pivot point at the end of the 3 measurement. Where the two arcs meet is the point where the other two lines are drawn to.

Richard has it exactly right. This method gets the job geometrically perfect with the most basic of tools. Cheers

I would just put it on my tablesaw with the long edge against the rip fence and trim it to 10 inches. Tjat makes the two long edges parallel. Then use the table saw with my crosscut sled and retrim one edge. Then, keeping the same edge as a reference, flip it left to right and retrim the opposite edge. Clean up the corners by a simple roundover or small chamfer.

Can you square it using the 3-4-5 method?, or mark it?

Richard has it right for marking and laying out lines on panels.

If you just want to square that piece of material, that is relatively simply. Joint one edge, rip the opposite edge for parallel, place on some type of known 90 degree to blade sled, slider, fence, etc. Cross cut the first side, flip it over and crosscut the second side to length. You should now have a board square at all four corners, the dimension of your choosing. This assumes that you have some type of mechanism to cut 90 degrees to the blade.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You don't need a 90 degree corner, you need a starting point and one straight edge. Start at one corner, measure up the straight edge at a unit of 3 and mark a point, then take a trammel and set it at a unit of 4 and make an arc with the pivot point at the first corner. Now set the trammel to 5 and strike an arc with the pivot point at the end of the 3 measurement. Where the two arcs meet is the point where the other two lines are drawn to.
    I think i am starting to understand how to apply this to a larger piece of material say perhaps a 49"x97" piece of melamine that comes from Menards that needs to be square.
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw

I strongly recommend you take the time to construct an accurate crosscut sled for your R4512 table saw. The effort will pay off over and over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I strongly recommend you take the time to construct an accurate crosscut sled for your R4512 table saw. The effort will pay off over and over and over again.
    Built one of those a couple weeks ago...works great as long as i put the "square end" against the fence of the crosscut sled! LOL....

What I am really trying to get at here, and i guess i didn't communicate it clearly is "how to square larger panels" that dont fit on a table saw or crosscut sled. (think 4 x 8 sheets of plywood that are being repurposed and dont have one square edge to start from here)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    What I am really trying to get at here, and i guess i didn't communicate it clearly is "how to square larger panels" that dont fit on a table saw or crosscut sled. (think 4 x 8 sheets of plywood that are being repurposed and dont have one square edge to start from here)
    If that's where you're headed, I think you want to follow Richard's approach for marking up the sheet, then proceed with a track saw, if you have one, or a circular saw with a carefully positioned guide rail.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    True this!

Another method: Starting from one straight edge, preferably the longest edge, find the center point. From each corner of that edge, using a tape measure, trammel or whatever, strike an arc somewhere near the opposing edge and approximately in line with the center point (using the same, arbitrary, radius from both corners, 65" radius will get you close enough on a 48" wide sheet). From where those 2 arcs meet strike a line to the center point on the original straight edge. That line will be perpendicular to your original straight edge. You can measure both directions from there.

David ,I should have expanded on my slider comment above,sorry about that. Richard has an excellent method/desciption of 3,4,5, this will get you lines laid out square,now you just have to cut them. If you cut much melamine you need a method to make one edge straight. This is where a sliding saw pays for itself,cut one eight foot edge straight and go from there. I remember struggling to get things square,I never owned a tracksaw. I think this would be the answer,cut the straight edge with the tracksaw and then take it to your tablesaw and crosscut box.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    David
    It is for this reason that folks are willing to spend some rather big$$$$ for either tools/machines, or layout tools.
    Simple Plane Geometry is the basis for the layout lines, exactly as Richard detailed. You may not be able to draw a right angle accurately over a length, but you can easily strike an arc and work the form backward from there. Once again though, this relies on an accurate method to establish the relationship.
    Large panels are tough for the person working alone, in a small garage type shop.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)