Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remember as a kid building a Plastic Model Kit ?

I lived for building model cars from when I was 8 through 12.

I would paint it green, like most of those 5 window pickups were. My family had one, but I don't remember the year-probably 54 or 55.
    I found some facts about them:
    http://classicchevytrucks.org/advanced-design-1947-55/

Blog Entries

A Funny model story

When my wife and I were dating she had been shopping for my birthday and she had purchased a model kit of a 1967 T-bird for me, since she knew that I liked to build models. Later, as she was walking through a store with her mother, she wondered out loud "if buying "Lee" a Thunderbird for his birthday was a big enough gift". A couple of ladies near by gave her a very strange look and said that they would think that buying a new car for anyone would be a more that appropriate gift. Obviously they were thinking real car while my girl friend was thinking of a plastic model.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I built mainly airplanes, rockets and warships. Very first 1 was an airplane when I was 5. Nobody told me I had puncture the tube of glue with a pin so I just squeezed harder and harder until the bottom of the tube unwound, blasting glue all over the front of my shirt. Try as she did, my Mom could not get the glue out of the shirt and it became a rag. No more plastic models for me until my Dad finished his over seas tour and could help me.

Maybe at midlife crisis I bought several of the rockets again on auction site. Some identical to ones I built 60+ years ago, some newer than my originals (Saturn V, Mercury capsule, etc). None of them has been assembled, just never had the time.

As per your question, I vote orange and blue.

"Nobody told me I had puncture the tube of glue with a pin . . . " James that's a good one. I think I was about five as well. I tried to use Elmer's glue since that was the only glue I was familiar with. Didn't hold, so I added scotch tape.

My car / truck models never survived as a kid. they often fell victim to fireworks or lighter fluid.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I still have half a tube of glue and after 50 years it's still good. (not for sale)

The blue is fine but I'd loose all the orange, maybe add a but of lavender or bright green.