Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's it worth? - Old Oliver Planer PICS

What's it worth? - Old Oliver Planer PICS

I ran across an old Oliver 24" planer (pic below) this afternoon that may be for sale. It's been sitting outside for some time and all of the mechanical controls are frozen solid. It appears to be an interesting restoration project but I would like to get an idea its value before making an offer. The machine looks intact with the exception of the dust hood and sharpening attachment. The motor is 208v, 3-phase. Any idea of its value?

Oliver Planer 002.jpgOliver Planer 005.jpgOliver Planer 009.jpgOliver Planer 006.jpgOliver Planer 008.jpg

I would not offer more than scrap value for your area.

Scrap iron price, in the neighbourhood of a nickel a pound.

What compels a person to leave a tool outside? I will never be able to understand what made someone make that decision one day.

That machine has very little value. It deserves to be saved and brought back into action, but that’s going to be a lot of work. I haven’t worked on that model before, but there’s a lot going on with a planer, I wouldnt consider them the simplest of machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Scrap iron price, in the neighbourhood of a nickel a pound.
    So, about $150? Is it worth restoring?

There's a Crescent 24" planer on CL located in Carson City, NV in seemingly better condition than the one pictured but definitely a major restoration project. Asking $950. Been listed for many months. I agree with the other commenters - not worth more than scrap. Why bother unless old iron restoration is your raison d'etre?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    So, about $150? Is it worth restoring?
    It is a shame it is in this condition. It would be nice to see it fully restored. It will take a butt load of work. Only you can judge if the work is the worth it. How much will it cost you to buy a new/used 24" machine? If you really want a big planer then this could be the way to get one if you aren't flush with cash and have the abilities to do the work. If you aren't good at this sort of thing or don't have the time then you shouldn't be the one to buy it.

Not worth it. I sold my Yates American 24" in great working order for $1,200 so I didn't have to move it again. You'd need a crane to take it apart and just get the rust off. Let alone pull major parts like the cutting head.

I bought a Bridgeport mill in similar condition for $80. In the process of complete restoration. It was worth it to me, in this case. My opinion is you'd be better off buying something like the Crescent mentioned, unless you are setup for and enjoy machine restoration.

Looks like an Oliver 199. I’d buy it for a couple hundred at most, based on the restoration it would need. I really enjoy restorations though.

You can get a lot of info (and parts) on the machine over at OWWM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Looks like an Oliver 199. I’d buy it for a couple hundred at most, based on the restoration it would need. I really enjoy restorations though.

Ditto Matt's post. That would be a labor of love with many many hours of time put into it. However Oliver's are highly regarded "arn'' and the addicts over at OWWM are a great support group.

Even if free, you are likely to spend more to rehab than what you can buy a running 299. Planers have lots of small parts that don't fare well when sitting outside. If you really want a 199 brought back from the grave, you have a good candidate there. Dave

Scrap value.... Except the competition that makes the value higher because it could be a parts machine. Someone out there needs something.
    Last edited by Bill Orbine; 12-22-2018 at 9:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

Just don't ask what it's worth over at OWWM.

I agree that it's scrap value is about all it's worth. It would be a huge job to disassemble and restore it, and you would have a lot of money in it when you're finished. If the motor is fried, it will cost quite a bit to have it rewound and since it's direct drive you won't be able to rig up a substitute. It would be a great planer when finished but an awful lot of work.

I really don’t think it looks that bad. And it’s sat outside in Arizona, not Ohio.