Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's it worth? - Old Oliver Planer PICS

I wonder why it was put out back. I assume something expensive is wrong with it. motor or gears maybe cracked casting? If the gearbox filled with water and it froze then the gearbox is cracked.
    Bil lD.

My interest in the planer has almost disappeared based on the comments so far. The seller wants $1000, which is out of the question. I may offer $150 after giving it more thought but after considering the other projects ahead of me may not even do that. It was fun considering replacing my current 16" planer with the Oliver but highly impractical at this time. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    My interest in the planer has almost disappeared based on the comments so far. The seller wants $1000, which is out of the question. I may offer $150 after giving it more thought but after considering the other projects ahead of me may not even do that. It was fun considering replacing my current 16" planer with the Oliver but highly impractical at this time. Thanks for all the input.
    That's not a $1000.00 dollar machine.
    I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because firstly, It's an Oliver, and secondly, it is out in the dry climate of the southwest, and not the northeast, but that's a "from the ground up" overhaul, and may only be completed if you have another 1940's era machine just like it. It's missing some pieces.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-23-2018 at 2:03 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    That's not a $1000.00 dollar machine.
    I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because firstly, It's an Oliver, and secondly, it is out in the dry climate of the southwest, and not the northeast, but that's a "from the ground up" overhaul, and will only be completed if you have another 1940's era machine just like it. It's missing some pieces.
    What is it missing besides the dust shroud and sharpening attachment?

You want to look at the cutter head. The 199 was made from the 1920s to the early 1940s. While this looks to be a later version due to the segmented chipbreaker, you need to verify that the head is a normal gibbed type. Early 199 came with a " Clamshell " head that is too dangerous to run. If that is the case you need to replace the direct drive head which may cost more than a decent 299. If the head is gibbed, look for the onboard knife grinder attachment. I don't see it on the machine but it may be laying around and adds value to the machine. The motors were generally either 5 or 7.5 hp and ran both the rollers and head. The 299 used separate motors so it was capable of a greater depth of cut. Dave

And if it's got an ITCH head you HAVE to have the knife grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    What is it missing besides the dust shroud and sharpening attachment?
    Steve
    That's what I saw just from the photo. The latter assembly can be expensive to buy, even when found.
    It's going to have a value it won't go below simply because it is an Oliver, and the frame castings alone will allow it to keep value regardless of whether it ever runs, or not. It won't sell for pennies per pound
    A couple months back there was an Oliver 166, 12" jointer, for sale nearby. It was literally lying in the dirt in pieces, with grass growing up between some of the sections. The seller wanted $900 for that one. I thought about it, but I have a 16" Kane and Roach jointer I have still yet to rebuild.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

ITCH heads were not developed until late in the 299 cycle-1960s at the earliest. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You want to look at the cutter head. The 199 was made from the 1920s to the early 1940s. While this looks to be a later version due to the segmented chipbreaker, you need to verify that the head is a normal gibbed type. Early 199 came with a " Clamshell " head that is too dangerous to run. If that is the case you need to replace the direct drive head which may cost more than a decent 299. If the head is gibbed, look for the onboard knife grinder attachment. I don't see it on the machine but it may be laying around and adds value to the machine. The motors were generally either 5 or 7.5 hp and ran both the rollers and head. The 299 used separate motors so it was capable of a greater depth of cut. Dave
    Clamshell memshell. I have run one in a Clement jointer. It's all about the condition. I wouldn't even worry about it in a planer.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    ITCH heads were not developed until late in the 299 cycle-1960s at the earliest. Dave
    Early 70s. Soon after Newman's.

Darcy, you have experience assessing and testing the bolts and threads of a clamshell. The Op doesn't. I've had knives thrown out of planers and it is still shrapnel. Dave

There's one in nice condition for sale near me with an asking price of $1500.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    There's one in nice condition for sale near me with an asking price of $1500.
    OP, maybe a road trip to Idaho is in the cards? ��

https://www.proxibid.com/Industrial-...ation/45379433

sold for $3200 last week at on line auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce McVeety View Post
    https://www.proxibid.com/Industrial-...ation/45379433

sold for $3200 last week at on line auction.
    I watched that auction.