Thread: No Tee slot in older table saw to keep sled from tipping

No Tee slot in older table saw to keep sled from tipping

I keep trying to find a way to 'make' this good old Rockwell Delta table saw a good cabinet-grade saw. I thought I could make up for the short rip capacity with a large crosscut sled, but with no tee miter slot it will tip. I thought of building a table in front of the saw...any ideas?

Outfeed table will help a lot with a small saw like that. A temporary roller stand in the front could help with the front, as I wouldn't want a permanently built table in the way of normal usage.
    Jeff

Table saws generally do not have T-slots. If your sled/saw requires one, you're doing something wrong. You cannot turn a general purpose saw into a cabinet saw.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Table saws generally do not have T-slots. If your sled/saw requires one, you're doing something wrong. You cannot turn a general purpose saw into a cabinet saw.
    It doesn't require one but they were recommended to keep sled from tipping. I assumed the newer saws had them..

I have seen a lot of table saws with a "T" slot. The last 3 that I have owned all had it, including a nearly new Grizzly. I don't use it with my sleds but I certainly could if I though it was beneficial.

Good idea on roller stand! Shop space is getting a little cramped already.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I have seen a lot of table saws with a "T" slot.
    Thanks, I thought that was the case. Can't believe everything you read!

Blog Entries
    The t-slot is there to keep the nuisance of having the miter guide falling off the front of the table. It's not for bearing any kind of weight, as would be the case if you were trying to keep a sled with a board on it supported. Infeed & outfeed extensions are the way do go.

And yes, most contractor & cabinet table saws within the last 20 years at least have t-slots. They're nice to have, but not a game changer at all. So Andy is correct when he says you don't need one.

I'm with Jeff. You do not want a front table extension. It would be in the way for normal use.

I would build a simple removeable arm, made to hang somehow on your fence at one end, with a folding adjustable leg to steady the sled. Hang it on the wall when not needed. You only need three points of contact.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Here's what I do for my larger sled.

"A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Great idea! That would be all I need to stabilize it. Thanks!

Looks like Glenn beat me to it, here's my version.
    It clamps to the square tube with a shop made cam mechanism.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 12-23-2018 at 3:21 PM.