Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Bandsaw Questions/Advice

Some further info on the tension ability of the Felder FB510. Measured several blades with a Lenox tension meter and determined that the maximum tension that the spring will develop is about 1100 lbs. at full deflection. While I've yet to receive a 1" Resaw King to measure tension directly, my calculations suggest that the FB510's maximum tension with this blade is about 24K psi--somewhat less than ideal. No wonder the Woodmaster CT felt undertensioned--it was only at about 16K psi.
    I spoke to Felder service this AM and the claim from one of their senior techs is that they have no data on the spring specs of their band saws and never measure blade tension.
    The fit and finish of the FB510 is really very good, but it is not really a dedicated resaw machine unless you want to use a 3/4" RK or a 1/2" carbide blade otherwise.
    I hope this information helps others interested in the FB510 as a resaw machine.
    Just my $0.02...

An update on the saga of resawing with the Felder FB510.
    After calculating the spring maximum tension on the FB510 (previous post) I ordered a Laguna 1" RK. The blade indeed cannot be tensioned beyond about 22-24K PSI on the FB510, even maxing out the spring travel.
    Frustrated, I looked for a dedicated resaw and, on the basis of advice from several fellow Creekers, purchased a Grizzly G0636X, a 17" saw that Grizzly apparently modeled after the Italian Centauro-made saws. Boy, did Grizzly hit it out of the park with this saw! The fit and finish on the saw is equivalent to my Felder. The 5 hp motor is very capable and the saw will tension a 1" x .035" blade to well over 40K PSI (measured). There is no discernible vibration, the table is large and flat and the fence is reasonable for resawing. At less than $3K delivered, it is still quite a bit less that a SCM s400p and I think every bit and more of an equivalent machine. Dust collection is quite satisfactory and the guides are fine for resawing. Changing blades is no harder than with most other large saws and between its weight (600+ lbs) and large base (over 25" x 29") it feels like a much larger saw than its 17" wheel size would suggest. All the adjustments are performed with steel or cast iron parts (no plastic). My first impression is obviously quite positive.
    My plan is to add an Aigner F-rail to the outside of the table to permit my Felder table extensions to be used and I have plans for a manually operated micrometer-based sliding fence to make consistent veneer cuts easier.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Weiser View Post
    ...I have plans for a manually operated micrometer-based sliding fence to make consistent veneer cuts easier.
    Ed, are these plans you have devised or got from somewhere? I've been thinking of how to add a micro-adjustable fence to my 18" Rikon but haven't yet come up with a good idea. (Maybe it would help to find one and look at it!)

JKJ

Hi John,
    Google the Accu-Slice website and videos. The design concept is good but I think the build looks a little flimsy and the price is excessive. Once I get the rest of my parts I will start a post on what I have planned.
    Ed

As a happy owner of a G0636X I'm not surprised you are pleased with yours. Thanks very much for posting not only your impressions of the saw but also comparative data between it and the Felder. You read lots of opinions on here but scant actual data. Refreshing to see. Your tension measurements are not surprising to me. I, too, have measured values over 40K psi on a 1" x 0.035" blade and the spring had a lot of range remaining. Having seen those values I'm reasonably sure it would be able to put at least 25K psi on a 1-1/4" blade. I don't see a need to use a blade that large but it's nice to know it should be capable of doing so if I change my mind.

I've had my saw for about 2 years now. Absolutely no issues and I am as happy with it today as when I first got it. I wish you the same with yours.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    As a happy owner of a G0636X I'm not surprised you are pleased with yours. Thanks very much for posting not only your impressions of the saw but also comparative data between it and the Felder. You read lots of opinions on here but scant actual data. Refreshing to see....
    I thought the same thing.

That saw looks great. I kinda wish I had an extra $3k burning a hole in my pocket.

JKJ