Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Calibration Question

Hammer A3-31 Calibration Question

As many know, I’m working my way through getting this thing set up. I’ve hit a snag I can’t figure out on the planer section. To get rid of snipe on both ends, Felder sent video and instruction to increase tension on the feed rollers. I feel like I’ve tightened them a lot at this point trying to both even the pressure side to side to promote straight feeding and to provide enough tension to hold the workpiece flat to the bed. I’ve waxed the bed as well.

so here is the issue, I’m still getting a small amount of snipe that can be seen and felt. Too much to sand out in my opinion. The kicker is that it is noticeably worse as the wood gets thinner. So planing on a 1” board doesn’t appear to leave snipe. Planing a 1/2” board does leave snipe.

Any idea why the tension adjust would cause snipe on a thinner thinner board and not the thicker one? Do I possibly have too much tension? Any tips on how to go about getting tension right to remove snipe? Thanks.

You may have too much pressure.

To much pressure on the infeed can cause thin wood to compress under the roller, bend upwards and contact the cutter.

Same for the outfeed, it causes the trailing end to have snipe.

Reduce the tension by 12 flats on the nut, try it, reduce again, try it....Rod

No suggestions as i havent set my machine up yet, but wanted to ask, how long is the snipe at each end? Curious how much of the boards length you are losing to it.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    You may have too much pressure.

To much pressure on the infeed can cause thin wood to compress under the roller, bend upwards and contact the cutter.

Same for the outfeed, it causes the trailing end to have snipe.

Reduce the tension by 12 flats on the nut, try it, reduce again, try it....Rod
    thanks Rod. That makes some sense as the boards were starting to bow the thinner I went so the rollers are probably inducing the bow as well. I’ll back it back down evenly per side 12 flats and see what happens. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    No suggestions as i havent set my machine up yet, but wanted to ask, how long is the snipe at each end? Curious how much of the boards length you are losing to it.
    Ben, it’s about 4” per side, but I e not actually run anything other than test boards so far so no real losses. Hopefully I get it dialed in for no snipe.

Are you using an outfield extension table? When I was doing a lot of long boards, I put the longer extension table on and didn't get any snipe, first planing 5/4 boards and then the same board resewed to 1/2". This was a major improvement over my old Dewalt 735.

The longer extension has the support leg, which you have to keep adjusting as you change the planer thickness, so it's a bit of a pain. I never should have bought it, at least for use on the planer function. It's really designed for support on either the indeed or outfeed side of the jointer function.

Since then, I've been planing without an extension and am getting mild snipe as you describe. I've ordered the shorter outfield extension which I hope helps eliminate the snipe as the longer extension did. Felder has this extension discounted from $185 to $149 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Are you using an outfield extension table? When I was doing a lot of long boards, I put the longer extension table on and didn't get any snipe, first planing 5/4 boards and then the same board resewed to 1/2". This was a major improvement over my old Dewalt 735.

The longer extension has the support leg, which you have to keep adjusting as you change the planer thickness, so it's a bit of a pain. I never should have bought it, at least for use on the planer function. It's really designed for support on either the indeed or outfeed side of the jointer function.

Since then, I've been planing without an extension and am getting mild snipe as you describe. I've ordered the shorter outfield extension which I hope helps eliminate the snipe as the longer extension did. Felder has this extension discounted from $185 to $149 right now.
    I’ve got the short extension on planer outfeed now. I’m getting the snipe on short boards too though. Need to loosen tension as Rod suggested when I go back in there and see if that brings it back in check.

Felder has this extension discounted from $185 to $149 right now.
    Yea they always discount the table extension, but never the additional mount rail needed to mount it. So annoying. Thats an extra $70. Add tax and shipping and the whole setup runs about $260.

Do you have a link to this video from Felder?

Do you have a link to this video from Felder?
    One of the service people texted it to my cell phone. Not an official video, just his filming in their stock room to help me. Not sure if I can technically legally post it without getting his permission.

I never had issue with snipe on my machine but I know that if I don’t tighten the handle below the height ruler on the planer, that will cause some snipe. Just a quick tightening of the handle cures it all.

I may be doing it wrong, but with long boards I do not rely soly on the extensions. On both infeed and outfeed I will support the board with slight upward pressure with my hands. I also make sure I don't take too big of a bite. .005" is about as aggressive as I will go.

I would like to see that video though if it is available in a link.

I normally take 2mm deep cuts ( one handwheel revolution)..........Mine has no snipe, neither measurable nor can you feel or see anything.....Rod

Those with no snipe: Are you using an extension table on the planer or any other type of outfeed support??

I’ve been playing with the tension adjustments all morning. I’ve managed to get darn close to no snipe but still need to fine tune some more to keep straight, even feeding and no snipe.

Using some walnut, cherry and maple, I did manage to get enough material processed to put together 3 decent sized cutting boards. One is 1.5”x26”x9.5”. One is 1.5”x21”x10.5”. Last one is about 10” square and 1.5” thick. Have two in clamps right now and the other one later today. Nothing standardized about them but given my late to the game attempt, I’m just going with what I had pulled to get started with. Was supposed to be doing this a month or two ago but work and life didn’t allow me to get this machine calibrated timely.

Remind me never to take on a major shop layout shuffle, tool swap out, and new tool acquisition swing all at me time. Too much stress and learning curve all at once. 2018 was a big change up year for my shop with a ton of new machines, processes and layout to learn to work with. LOL