Thread: Best small cyclone setup

Blog Entries

Best small cyclone setup

A friend asked me today what sort of dust collection he should try to get for his shop tools. He has a table mounted table saw, router table and a chop saw in a basement shop.(I don't know the brands or models) He does mostly furniture projects like computer desks and book cases for his family. He does move from time to time so he isn't looking for a permanent installation. He is on a pretty tight budget.

I'm thinking that a small cyclone with a shop vac? So which works better the Oneida or the Dust Deputy?

Or if his budget allows, Grizzly 1 Hp Model: G8027 or a Harbor Freight 1 Hp modified with a Thein baffle like shown in this video.

Other suggestions?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The Dust Deputy and Super Dust Deputy are Oneida products. I use the Super Dust Deputy with pieces of a Delta 50-760 dust collector to make a two stage collector and it works well. The cyclone itself is ridiculously overpriced piece of molded plastic but I don't know about the performance of cheaper alternatives that are available.

One of the SDD units combined with a decent blower and cartridge filter on a shop-built roller stand would be a good solution for your friend. It would provide quality dust extraction and be flexible enough to handle his changing environments. A single hose that connects to the tool being used in the moment keeps things simple. And if you stay at, say a 1.5hp or so unit, there would be no special power requirements beyond it being on a different circuit from the tools.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The Dustopper from Home Depot might be worth a look:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustoppe...HD12/302643445

Pretty budget-friendly at $40 plus the cost of a 5-gallon bucket. There was some discussion here at SMC earlier this year:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....218-Dustopper-!

I have several tools for which my Ridgid shop vac does a good job of dust collection, but it would be nice to have a front-end that keeps the filter clean a little longer. I'm planning to add a Dustopper when I get back home after the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The Dust Deputy and Super Dust Deputy are Oneida products. I use the Super Dust Deputy with pieces of a Delta 50-760 dust collector to make a two stage collector and it works well. The cyclone itself is ridiculously overpriced piece of molded plastic but I don't know about the performance of cheaper alternatives that are available.
    Art,

Have you posted pics of this? I have the same equipment and plan to mount the Delta on the wall. I would be interested in seeing what you've done.

Thanks.

I will go out and take a picture of the setup and post it. It is crude and I am almost embarrassed to show it but it works.

My version of a SDD with a wynn filter and a Delta 50-760. I use a 5 in hose. I'd prefer the filter to be on top but my ceilings wont allow it with a 35 gallon drum.

IMG_2091.jpg

Thanks, Mark.

Here is my adaptation. Looks pretty similar.

20181222_143843.jpg

The rig is mounted in a closet to minimize noise. The duct is 4 inch and goes straight through the wall and straight down the shop wall with no bends or turns. That contributes to goo performance overall.

I had a 1 hp Delta dust collector. I used it with the stock bags - big mistake, blew fine dust all over the shop, good bags, and a cartridge filter. It worked but I was not happy with it. I currently use a shop vac pulling through a dust deputy. This works great for the little tools but not so good with the table saw and CMS. I will end up with another DC, probably the Harbor Freight 2hp. Should move a lot more air than my old Delta. But I will not use it with the stock bags for even 5 minutes. Summer time I plan to exhaust it outside and in the winder, maybe in the summer if I add AC, I will use good bags (shaker felt is one description) or a cartridge.

Thanks, Art. I imagine mine will look something like yours. I wish I had a closet to put it in, though.

Jim, if you're willing to spend a little bit, the Wynn filters work really well.

My setup is similar to Art's. 1.5HP Delta with a Wynn filter through an Oneida SSDxl dumping in to a 55 gallon drum. I'm getting about 450-500 CFM through 6" PVC ducting. I got the DC on the cheap, so the main expenses were the ducting and the SSD.

If I had it to do again, I'd drop to 5" ducting and use a SSD instead of an SSDXL to get better velocity. The Delta intake and most of my ports are actually 120mm / 5" sized so I loose velocity converting up and down sizes at each end. You need to find your own bright orange drum, else the entire project is useless.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYPDh69v36DkgLul2

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One of the SDD units combined with a decent blower and cartridge filter on a shop-built roller stand would be a good solution for your friend. It would provide quality dust extraction and be flexible enough to handle his changing environments. A single hose that connects to the tool being used in the moment keeps things simple. And if you stay at, say a 1.5hp or so unit, there would be no special power requirements beyond it being on a different circuit from the tools.
    I did essentially this - HF "2HP" DC blower, Rikon replacement impeller, Oneida SDD cyclone - blower directly above SDD with 6" takeoff from blower directly into SDD..
    It's similar to this but wit the regular SDD, NOT the XL:
    http://www.grayhousestudio.com/harbo...collector-mod/

One of these days, I'll get a picture, but that should get the creative juices flowing.

A gear puller made short work of pulling the HF impeller and putting on the Rikon impeller was easy.

I used TWO Wynne filters - maybe overkill but the DC is marginal for my J/P and I wanted to maximize performance.

-Mike

FYI I just got the book from Grizzly and they have a new cyclone separator/can setup.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...eparator/G0863

Can’t he get the HF unit and run it without a separator for now and get a better bag; Grizzly has 2.5 micron ones for $30. Later if he wants too add a cartridge filter and a separator. It should be plenty good enough for that but still have options for expansion. It would be around $200 with a hose and new bag.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.