Thread: Harbor Freight Dust Collector

Harbor Freight Dust Collector

I have the 70 gal. 2 HP Heavy Duty High Flow High Capacity Dust Collector by Centeral Machinery. Anyone else have it? What bags do you use?

Im hoping the bags that fit the Jet DC1100 will fit.

thanks

Consider using high quality, high filtration bags from a place like American Fabric Filter, rather than any "branded" bags.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Consider using high quality, high filtration bags from a place like American Fabric Filter, rather than any "branded" bags.
    So both the top and bottom bag should be a filter bag?

I use a Thien separator and the plastic bag that came with it. I have had it for 10 years and still using the same bag and have one spare. I only get a small amount in the bag as the separator works really good. This is on a 4 x 8 CNC. I have to empty the separator sometimes 2 times a day and it is a full 40 gal can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Riseborough View Post
    So both the top and bottom bag should be a filter bag?
    Depends on the system. If the upper bag is sized correctly for the flow, using a disposable plastic bag on the bottom will work just fine. These systems have evolved over the years. They are still primarily "chip collectors" but by improving the filtration by using quality fabrics that are designed correctly, one can get better collection of the "fines" and setup for a better health situation.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I too use a Thien baffle on my 2 HP HF dust collector. Because I live in a fairly warm climate, I just exhaust outside and don't use a final filter.

Grizzly and HF are almost identical so you can order bags from Grizzly.
    Don

I would go with Jim's advice and talk to American Filter Fabric. You can tell them what you have and they will give you a recommendation. It will likely be bigger (more square feet) than what you have now or expect. If a filter bag is taut when running it must be working really well, right? Well no, there's nowhere near enough filter surface. I have a cartridge filter & Thien baffle now but when I had a bag type I got the top bag from AFF. It hung limp when the dust collector was running which meant there was enough surface area to pass the required air with little back pressure so as much flow as the machine was capable of.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-24-2018 at 5:28 AM.

Hi Jim. I have this collector as well and have for quite awhile now. I use a Wynn cartridge filter on top, but I think you are asking about the bags that collect on the bottom. I use clear construction bags from the local store that are 3 mil thick. I think they are the 44 or 55 gallon ones. There is excess width at the mouth, but I fold over the bag so it is tight, tuck it in the retaining clips and then lock that band clamp down tight. There is no leakage and the bags are super cheap. A super cheap and readily available option for you.
    USMC '97-'01

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Hi Jim. I have this collector as well and have for quite awhile now. I use a Wynn cartridge filter on top, but I think you are asking about the bags that collect on the bottom. I use clear construction bags from the local store that are 3 mil thick. I think they are the 44 or 55 gallon ones. There is excess width at the mouth, but I fold over the bag so it is tight, tuck it in the retaining clips and then lock that band clamp down tight. There is no leakage and the bags are super cheap. A super cheap and readily available option for you.
    That's pretty much what I have now but had a lot of chips in the cartridge filter. I cleaned the cartridge filter well, I can use a garden hose on it then made a Thien baffle in the metal part of the DC between the top & bottom. That cut way down on the material getting to the cartridge filter. No planer/jointer chips and not much dust but a little from the drum sander make its way past the baffle and into the filter.

I use 6 mil contractors bags on the bottom. Good not to let them fill up past 2/3 full or they are pretty heavy.