Thread: Laser Tube Min. Operating Temperature

Laser Tube Min. Operating Temperature

What is the minimum operating temperature you recommend for running laser engraver? I am operating in a 40degF shop and the chiller is at 7-10degC, just curious if anyone knows if operating at lower temperatures reduces the life of the laser tube more quickly...

Go to the website for your tube's manufacturer and look up the specs for you exact model. Most companies post a temp range in the specifications.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

My Ten-High CO2 laser guideline is minimum of 4C or 40F.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

The recommended operating temps for the Reci is 2-40C which is a wide range. Surely there is an ideal range within this recommended range that is better for the life of the tube. I was just curious if anyone knew if operating at 2C was any different than 40C in terms of laser tube life.

My chiller is set at 20 C for my laser

I never run above 20C. Lost a tube at 24/28C, but I also had a kinked cooling line.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

My workshop can reach freezing temps in winter. I keep the coolant water circulating all the time and have an 80W aquarium heater in the water tank. That keeps the temp above 10C.
    G. Weike LG900N 100W RECI RDWorks V8
    Leiming LM2513FL 1kW Raycus fiber laser cutter
    Wisely 50W Raycus engraver

Yep I run anti freeze in mine and run the water all the time. It gets cold in my shop. But laser still operates find. Cross my fingers

That’s a great idea with the fish tank heater!

On my old laser I had a farm watering bucket that keeps the water at about 50 F

Dave Sheldrake (who is VERY knowledgeable) said, "Beam profiles change in DC tubes when they get hot, the window to operate a DC tube efficiently with a stable beam is only +/- 1.2 - 2 degrees. On a narrow body tube it should be kept between 20 to 24 degree's (on a wide body, 17 - 21 degree's). Hit 24 on a narrow body and you will start losing tube life exponentially as it goes above that. Temperature stability is absolutely essential in DC tubes."
    Last edited by John Noell; 12-24-2018 at 3:56 PM.
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

Thanks for the post, John. In my research on the topic, I have seen a lot of posts to not go over the recommended zone in fear of decreasing the life of the laser but I haven't seen anything on cooling the laser with 7-10 degC water. I found an older thread where Dave said the following:

It's a strange problem with thermal shock and DC lasers (water cooled versions)

The problem comes from temperature change / time in most cases.

Start up at 12 degrees won't be a problem unless the tube/coolant is at a far higher temperature than that when the fluid starts to cycle. If say the tube glass is at 75 C and you dump water through it at 10 C it's probably going to shatter, the same the other way, if the tube is at 10 and you fire 70 degree water through it, it's probably going to shatter.

The problem is the ends of tubes are subject to some pretty savage heating when the tube fires so tube type will also be a factor. To be honest the bigger danger will come from the temp change affecting the epoxy they use to bond the jackets on to some tube types (cheaper tubes)

Short version? starting up with the water at 12 so long as the rest of the tube isn't already hot won't be a problem (I've started a few of mine with the water at 6 - 8 and had no problems) (my chillers are all set to a base line of 15 degrees)

ps: Johns idea will work well, run the chiller for 5 minutes before you start the machine, on mine the chillers are never turned off and run 24/7 even if the machines aren't running as the pumps put a little bit of heat into the water
    KC, MO
    Mechanical Engineer
    G. Weike LC6090