Thread: Apron less 36" round table?

Blog Entries

Apron less 36" round table?

Thoughts on the cleat vs apron for a small table? The "cleat" not sure what else to call it is 28"x10" and 2" thick. I don't really like the idea of an apron on a table this small and this is what I came up with. The top is just under 1" thick (and still needs a edge profile)

20181220_160449_001.jpg
    20181219_212704.jpg

The cleat as you made it is a traditional method and is perfect for that table. Typically the cleat would run across the grain, though. And the screw holes in the outboard ends of the cleat would be elongated to allow for seasonal movement of the top.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 12-20-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Hi,
    How are you securing the cleat to the top? Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Hi,
    How are you securing the cleat to the top? Thanks
    My plan was to just use screws, and orient it the same as the top boards to not cause a cross grain situation. Though I could slot the holes and go across the top boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    My plan was to just use screws, and orient it the same as the top boards to not cause a cross grain situation. Though I could slot the holes and go across the top boards.
    I see. I asked because I didn't see them, but now I realize you're not done with the project yet. Your plan sounds good to me. I might slot the screw holes even if oriented the same as the top boards just as an insurance policy in case there is a differential in movement, but it may not be necessary. Very nice project Jared,

The design concept works well but you must have the cleat crossing the grain. If you have it with the grain the top will break at the edge of the cleat the first time someone parks their butt against the table edge. Slotting the screws works with no problems. It has been done this way for centuries. Polish the top separately to the base so that the top is fully sealed and moves easily with the seasons. Cheers

Speaking of polish, it won't hurt if you wax the top of the cleat before attaching it. Then it will move easier against the top and you can snug the screws down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    The design concept works well but you must have the cleat crossing the grain. If you have it with the grain the top will break at the edge of the cleat the first time someone parks their butt against the table edge. Slotting the screws works with no problems. It has been done this way for centuries. Polish the top separately to the base so that the top is fully sealed and moves easily with the seasons. Cheers
    I don't think breakage is an issue. This top is hardwood which is 1" thick. The unsupported part would be something like 13" wide and 34" long. You could stand on it without splitting it.

But I do agree that running the cleat across the grain will help to keep the table top flat over the seasons. I'd glue it in the middle, and use screws in slots out at the ends.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Speaking of polish, it won't hurt if you wax the top of the cleat before attaching it. Then it will move easier against the top and you can snug the screws down a bit.
    That was my plan, 2 coats of Precat on the cleat and table bottom and some paste wax in between.

At this point it needs just a final sanding and finish.

I finished the edge profile, but I can't say I'm 100% happy with it.

20181222_101933.jpg

20181221_153836.jpg

Nice looking table. I think the profile looks perfect. Well done.

Apologies, but tables do break if constructed with the cleat parallel to the grain. We are talking about less than 1" thick regardless of species selected. It's a basic design principle to work to the strengths of your materials. I also don't recommend gluing any part of a table top to its frame. It is simply unnecessary work that results in a table that can't be dismantled for that one tricky move without causing destruction. Cheers

Blog Entries
    I just used the domino to cut the slots 14 and 6mm
    20181223_222545.jpg

First cost of lacquer
    20181223_222524.jpg

Never thought of using the domino to cut slots for screws.
    Great idea.