Thread: Need help with a project!

Need help with a project!

I'm new at this so please keep it simple!
    I'm building a router table. I bought a tabletop from Rockler. First photo.

I want the table to look like this one so I can put plywood on bottom for a lower shelf. I will not put the wheels on it. Photo doesn't want to sit upright...lol second photo.

This is what the top frame looks like from back of the tabletop. Third photo.
    And from the front. Fourth photo.

When I tried to hold a couple of different hinges on it last night ( I want to hinge the top to lift it up for easy router adjustments) it felt like it was binding.
    I tried it on the INSIDE of the frame to bottom of the top. Would it work better if I went from the OUTSIDE of the frame to the end of the top? I would need to cut a slot in the plastic edging for the hinge to set flush on the top.

You guys have any better ideas that are simple and easy?

Thanks!
    Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gary Batten; 12-20-2018 at 3:46 PM.

I can't see attachments--just get message "invalid attachment....etc"

I'm new on this forum. Is there a trick to posting photos?

Thanks for the info. Every forum is a little different in the way it accepts photos.

Is a router lift in the budget?

You can also find routers that are easier to adjust than others. Our mini router table has a Milwaukee router with quick adjustment by pushing a button that holds an acme screw as well as a fine tune knob.

Do you really need to hinge the top? Isn't the router mounted to the insert plate so you can pull it out for service? Otherwise, for hinges to work you need to have the pivot of the hinge to the outside edge of the frame to under OR the edge of
    the top. If you chose under, you'll be limited to roughly 90 degree swing. If attached to edge, you have about 180 degree swing.