Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something funny about people....

A gift is a gift. I dont ask people what they want or tell them what I want.

A gift of food or wine that get shared with with the giver is great. A restaurant gift card or hobby related gift that is used with the other person is also great. It means I value our time together.

I almost never "ask" for anything for Christmas. Call me crazy but feel a gift should be something the giver put some thought into and want you to have.
    To me a gift card is just saying " No thought into it, Just grab something" I have gotten away from giving gift cards. I just give cash. What is the advantage of a gift card.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-21-2018 at 11:43 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post
    2 examples from my past. I was looking to buy a firearm. I had a an exact brand and model in mind and at that point was just looking for the best price. This was pre-internet so into various gun shops I went. In one of the more popular local shops I told the clerk exactly what I was after. First words out of his mouth were "Oh, you don't want that, you want [this other brand/model/configuration that is a complete departure from what you asked for]". I just turned around and left him with a stupid look on his face.
    Which reminds me, I own several guns and my wife has never fired one. When I met her she said she didn't like shooting. I asked how she could know? She agreed that she would go to the range once to try it. That was a couple of decades ago but I'm sure it's going to happen soon.

Which leads to the exchange I bring up at least once in the season:

Me:"What gun do you want for Christmas?"
    Wife:"I don't want a gun for Christmas."
    Me:"That wasn't the question."

I'll bring it up tomorrow just to see the rolling of the eyes.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post

Which leads to the exchange I bring up at least once in the season:

Me:"What gun do you want for Christmas?"
    Wife:"I don't want a gun for Christmas."
    Me:"That wasn't the question."

-Tom
    Tom, if this ever changes, be very, very careful.

Years ago a neighbor and friend's son asked for an NFL jacket from his parents for Christmas. He was a bid Broncos fan and wanted one of the coats. When he opened a present Christmas morning, he got an NFL coat. A San Francisco 49er's coat. He really didn't like the 49er's but his mom liked their QB more so thought her son should have that jersey instead. I don't think he ever wore it.

I agree that the best gifts are ones that the person buying it can identify as something you would like without being told. I also know from experience that is really tough at times.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Tom, if this ever changes, be very, very careful.

That comment almost made me spit out my coffee this morning!

Kyle, they probably think YOU are the odd ball. I guess it might be called old fashion, but some still see receiving a gift as
    different from ordering from Amazon.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Anytime anyone asks me what I want for Christmas I tell them I want a Little Harbor 42 or 44 (sailboat). They always get me something else. Maybe it's the way I say it.
    Geez, Julie, if only I had known. I just donated my LH 44 to the Safe Harbor Boys School. It was starting to get ahead of me and my bad back. Too late now. Sorry.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Anytime anyone asks me what I want for Christmas I tell them I want a Little Harbor 42 or 44 (sailboat). They always get me something else. Maybe it's the way I say it.
    That's not a Christmas gift, it's a stocking stuffer.

This is a Christmas gift: https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ex...ce-superyacht/

As they say, go big or go home.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That's not a Christmas gift, it's a stocking stuffer.

This is a Christmas gift: https://www.denisonyachtsales.com/ex...ce-superyacht/

As they say, go big or go home.
    But where do you fly the spinnaker?
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bueler View Post

That comment almost made me spit out my coffee this morning!
    Made me think too. I just added a Kevlar vest to my Christmas list. If I get one I'll check if it's a factory second.

-Tom