Thread: Used JET Air Filter

Used JET Air Filter

I had quite a coincidence today. I had a JET AFS1000B air filter in my Amazon basket this afternoon...then thought better of spending almost $500 without her knowledge, so I temporarily chucked it. A few hours later I came across a JET AFS1000B on Facebook's Marketplace for $75! I went and picked it up. The manufacture year on the nameplate is 2000. My question is, was it worth it? It starts, cycles through all 3 speeds with the remote, turns off, seems to work fine. I don't have a dust measuring device to verify it's working or not, but as long as the fan starts and the filters are in place and clean...shouldn't that be the only concerns? I also ordered a replacement rear filter. Thanks for any advice -this is my first experience buying an air filter for the shop.

Yep, it was worth it. A working machine for $75.00 versus $500.00. I'll take a chance on that any day.

Thanks, Mike. Wasn't sure if the effectiveness of the unit diminishes over time or if the newer generations are that much better. Important part of my shop since I'm an asthmatic and I'm in the early throes of a crusade on dust. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Faraday View Post
    Thanks, Mike. Wasn't sure if the effectiveness of the unit diminishes over time or if the newer generations are that much better. Important part of my shop since I'm an asthmatic and I'm in the early throes of a crusade on dust. Thanks again.
    I wouldn't mention it AFTER a purchase but I will since you are asthmatic. My biggest issue with ambient air cleaners sold for woodworking is that they generally are not HEPA rated and usually far from meeting those requirements. I would suggest you take a look at this: http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...ir_cleaner.cfm

Obviously, it is more expensive to put together than your bargain but cheaper than most of the new versions that move as much air. It can be upgraded with prefiltration, remote control, timer and made mobile if you want to move it near the source when doing things like sanding.

I don't want to diminish your bargain but since you have a medical condition you might want to explore options with higher efficacy.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

The filter inside can be replaced with a much better multi-panel box filter with a MERV 14 rating. (McMaster-Carr or other filter supply).

Just make sure you add a gasket around the panel to prevent a leak.

A higher rated prefilter will extend the life of the main filter.

With the deal you got, even with new filters your well under the price of a new unit.

Blog Entries
    I think you hit a home run. There's really not much to those things. Air gets sucked in through fiber filters which can be replaced. You tested the primary function (the fan) and it works. At worst now, you just need to replace the fabric filter.

There is a pre-filter that's like a furnace filter. I'm still on the first one. I just take it outside and hit it with compressed air.

I find that an important feature of my Jet filter unit is the time. I like to turn it on and set it to run for a while. If that feature works on yours, great. If not, just override with a timer. No biggie. At $75, you have lots of wiggle room for upgrades.

One note: If it came with a charcoal filter for Volitile Organic Compounds, it probably no good. Those things have a shelf life. I never did any research on that particular filter but I kind of wonder if it's snake oil. I don't see how you could do much real good with a filter of activated charcoal that's that thin. Again, though, no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Snow View Post
    The filter inside can be replaced with a much better multi-panel box filter with a MERV 14 rating. (McMaster-Carr or other filter supply).

Just make sure you add a gasket around the panel to prevent a leak.

A higher rated prefilter will extend the life of the main filter.

With the deal you got, even with new filters your well under the price of a new unit.
    Can you describe the multi-panel filer you mentioned? The one on my Jet is of an unusual shape. Thanks in advance.

https://www.mcmaster.com/1729t16

Not HEPA at MERV 14 but better than the bag filter that the unit comes with.