Thread: 3/4 d-way bowl gouge grind

3/4 d-way bowl gouge grind

Just got this gouge. Came sharp and I really like the grind that it came with. Can anyone tell me the settings on the oneway vari grind that Dave uses to send this specific gouge out

Just call Dave and ask him.
    C&C WELCOME

The best way is call Dave, he is in his shop right now and can answer your question.
    I really do mean call Dave today, late next week Jimmy and he sign the final paper work and Jimmy (and Cindy) own D-Way.
    Not that Dave will not answer your question after, but...

If Dave sharpens the tool the way he normally does, it was by hand. But she should know the setup to duplicate it.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I'm sorry, not to hijack the thread, but who is Jimmy and I'm assuming Dave is selling D-Way Tools?
    Curious to what will happen........ I like his tools. Obviously this is news to me.

It should be easy to duplicate. Set the distance of your V arm to match the nose grind angle. The adjust the moveable arm on your Wolverine until it matches the side grind. The only thing that might be different is the length it's extended in the Wolverine jig but shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes it get everything adjutsted.
    curious as to who you are talking about buying D-way tools. Is it Jimmy Clewes and Cindy Drozda or am I just pulling those names out because I know them.

Jimmy Allen owns this business:

http://boxmastertools.com/

Dave doesn't want to be so busy any more, and Jimmy is some one he has worked with for a number of years. He has an interesting approach to box turning with his NRSs, and works with Eric Loffstrom. There is a video up on the web site about sharpening, he does his NRSs up side down. Nice people, both Dave, and Jimmy. Both will be at the Oregon Woodturning Symposium in March, Jimmy with the business, and Dave as a demonstrator. Oh, I have a couple of Jimmy's box turning tool rests. Really like them.

robo hippy

Thanks Reed. Just wondering as always. Wish Jimmy the best.

Check out the video he does with Eric. They both prefer the upside down method of sharpening NRSs. Jimmy's main tool for hollowing out boxes. Interesting comment from him is that it is excellent for beginners since it is so user friendly. Not fast enough for production work, but still pretty simple.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I'm sorry, not to hijack the thread, but who is Jimmy and I'm assuming Dave is selling D-Way Tools?
    Curious to what will happen........ I like his tools. Obviously this is news to me.
    Actually probably not much, Dave is known for his, ah anal approach to quality... Jimmy is worse . As Robo notes, they are good folk.. Cindy was over to the house yesterday to drop off a Christmas present for my wife (Ellen, who helps man Jimmy and Dave's booths at symposiums).
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.