Thread: Fretwell's Long Tail Danish Workbench

Fretwell's Long Tail Danish Workbench

The main post is on the Neander forum but thought I would add a picture here for those non-neanders who like workbenches. If you are a wood worker with big feet and like to move around freely, or sit at the bench with your knees under then this works!
    The Danish bench vises require some serious planning as they are not an add on. The benefits are considerable however.

_MG_7766.jpg
    _MG_7779.jpg
    _MG_7771.jpg
    Last edited by William Fretwell; 12-19-2018 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Add pictures
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

That's a darn nice bench, William! And yes...having the vices so integral certainly put a bit of careful work on you. Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your new bench is really awesome William. The way a bench is suppose to look. There is a lot of good workmanship there, and it looks like a nice little place to settle in and work from on the vise side of the bench.

Thanks Jim and Michael, fortunately my workmanship has a few flaws here and there, the wood had many flaws I worked with, the benefit: it’s ready to use!

Keeping it as a workbench and not tool storage became very important to me. The more I see open tool cabinets at chest height the more I want one! Even bending repeatedly to knee level has less appeal as I age!

Wow. That bench is amazing. What's the big open part for (near back of the bench in the pictures)?

Matt, that is my tool tray at the back. It stops things rolling off the back of the bench, it stores tools very well as it is 6” deep. I can stand my planes up. It effectively makes my bench much wider as the back support is robust and will support wide work. The main benefit is keeping the whole bench surface clear for work but having your tools to hand.