Thread: Circular saw blade recommendations

1. Circular saw blade recommendations

I have a hand-me-down 7 1/4" sawcat that is old and most likely has the original blade (looks like a 24T). The info plate on the saw has worn off and the blade has no marking on it. Assuming I can clean up the bottom plate (it's clearly been used on asphalt shingles at least once) and the blade is parallel to the guide, I was thinking of purposing it for breaking down sheets (plywood, mdf, hardboard) using a guide rail built specifically for the saw.

I am leaning toward the Freud D0740X Diablo 40T. I like the price, but I am willing to spend more for a better quality cut. I'm not sure if a better blade would have a noticeable difference because I always plan on using the zero clearance guide.

I have had good luck with that blade and also the Freud D0760.

Blog Entries
    I too run Diablo blades for my circ saw and use it to break down sheet goods as you describe.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

40T for plywood 24 tooth for construction lumber.

Because the Diablo blades are super thin, you may have to add a shim between the blade and arbor washer. I use a piece of self stick sand paper, with sticky side attached to arbor washer. Doesn't have to be pretty. If your is a Super Sawcat, then the blade is adjustable to make it parallel to edge of shoe

I was ordering some other stuff from Amana recently, and added one of their 7-1/4" blades to the order, just to try. It's just a 24 tooth, but I did use it on some plywood with a guide, and it's probably the best circular saw blade I've used. It's a full thickness one. I don't remember what name they call it, but it has the Amana name on it also, and is black-maybe something like Cobra. I don't even know if they make it, or have it made somewhere else, but I'll be getting more of them.

I have an Avanti one from Home Depot. It’s a plywood specific blade. I can’t remember how many teeth. Works well though, nice smooth cut and little to no tear out depending on the quality of the material.

For breaking down sheet goods, a higher tooth count could provide a better cut. I just bought the Diablo 7-1/4" 60 tooth ultra fine finish blade (2 pack) from Home Depot for under $20. I haven't placed it on the saw yet but have plans to use it over the weekend to cut plywood on a project. I like the Diablo blades and am now running them on all of my equipment (Table Saw, Radial Arm Saw and now Circular Saw) and will likely continue to do so until I have a specific reason not to. I do have a few older blades that are reserved for rough cutting questionable wood (reclaimed, possible nails, etc.) prior to placing them into storage.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-7...760P/302657952

The Amana blade I posted about is called Mamba. They say they're both thin kerf, but it didn't seem like it's quite as thin as some others. Even the 24 tooth polished the edge of the plywood with no burning. I tried it today on some 2x's, and it cut cleanly but was still easy to steer the saw. I'll be ordering more of them.
    https://www.amanatool.com/products/s...ddiameter=3519