Thread: New Rikon Bandsaw or Used Powermatic

Question New Rikon Bandsaw or Used Powermatic

Hello all,

I found a Powermatic PM1500 15" bandsaw with pricing close to a new Rikon 14" professional bandsaw. They both have 3HP motor and around 14" resaw capacity, which is what I need. The problem is the used Powermatic does not come with a fence. Checking the official store and it costs $680 (!!!) to replace to fence.

What do you think? Does the used Powermatic without the fence still worth as much as a brand new Rikon? Considered discounts, tax and shipping both are priced around $1600. And extra costs to replace the fence for the Powermatic.

I heard good words about Rikon and even more good words about Powermatic. Just wondering if it worth all the hassle to get a used Powermatic and pay more to get the Powermatic fence, or something cheaper but as good.

Thanks!

At $1600, you are in the ball park for Jet, Laguna and possibly others, that all have similar capacity, so I'd pass on the Powermatic.

Turns out they have the fence. It’s just sitting right next tot the rack and the sales person didn’t realize. I decided to go with the Powermatic as it’s in good condition.

With the fence I think you made a good decision. Yes, I own a PM1500 and of course am biased. Before I bought mine I looked at a bunch of different brands. The others were cheaper with basically the same specs. However, at that time the Powermatic just seemed like a better built saw to me. I do not like the guides though. For cutting regular dry wood they are okay and do their job. For the wet / green wood I saw quite often for my lathe blanks they are a lot of trouble. I would prefer blocks, ceramic or phenolic. The bearings gum up way too quickly for me. Sometimes after just one green blank. I also have trouble with the guide locking screws vibrating loose often and the guides going out of adjustment.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    With the fence I think you made a good decision. Yes, I own a PM1500 and of course am biased. Before I bought mine I looked at a bunch of different brands. The others were cheaper with basically the same specs. However, at that time the Powermatic just seemed like a better built saw to me. I do not like the guides though. For cutting regular dry wood they are okay and do their job. For the wet / green wood I saw quite often for my lathe blanks they are a lot of trouble. I would prefer blocks, ceramic or phenolic. The bearings gum up way too quickly for me. Sometimes after just one green blank. I also have trouble with the guide locking screws vibrating loose often and the guides going out of adjustment.
    Thanks for the comments about the guide Robert! I do noticed as I move the guide up and down, the blade will start drifting sideways relative to the position of the guide bearings. So from the guide's highest position of 14" moving all the way down to 0", the blade will move away from the guide sideways by about 1/8". Also when I drop the guide all the way down to 0" the cursor is actually pointing at 1/4" at the tape on the guide. Not sure if I should expect that from a much better saw, may be I just need to do some tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Yip View Post
    Thanks for the comments about the guide Robert! I do noticed as I move the guide up and down, the blade will start drifting sideways relative to the position of the guide bearings. So from the guide's highest position of 14" moving all the way down to 0", the blade will move away from the guide sideways by about 1/8". Also when I drop the guide all the way down to 0" the cursor is actually pointing at 1/4" at the tape on the guide. Not sure if I should expect that from a much better saw, may be I just need to do some tuning.
    The first issue should be adjustable, check the manual, which is downloadable if you don't have it. The second issue is a non-issue for most people and the majority of the "best" saws won't even have a scale.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.