Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best pipe clamps that don't cost a fortune?

Best pipe clamps that don't cost a fortune?

I know you all have pipe clamps. From what I've read the threadless Irwin clamps are awful. (Sorry if you have them and like them).

I like the Bessey H series clamps. The H are small feet that help keep them flat on the bench. Although heavier I also prefer the rigidity of the 3/4” pipe. Home Depot is switching over to Dewalt, at least in my area, you may be able to get some on clearance.

Blog Entries
    Have the Irwin ones you speak of. Not that good, not that bad.

I have Pony 1 inch clamps and they are fine. However I think that I read somewhere the company changed ownership and is now based offshore

Blog Entries
    I have a bunch of old Craftsman 3/4" pipe clamps and they work very well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

For 9 bucks without feet or 12 bucks with feet, I don't think you can beat the Harbor Freight 3/4" pipe clamps. But then again, my wife claims I have "Male pattern cheapness".

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    I like the Bessey H series clamps. The H are small feet that help keep them flat on the bench. Although heavier I also prefer the rigidity of the 3/4” pipe.
    +1 on the Bessey H series. And I agree on the 3/4" size vs. 1/2". The 3/4" are only $14, regular price, at HD.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I have a bunch of old Craftsman 3/4" pipe clamps and they work very well.
    I have several 30-ish year old Craftsmans that I like, too. Last time I shopped Sears, I couldn't even find pipe clamps

+1 on the HF pipe clamps. I have some old craftsmen as well, and the HF clamps work just as well. I do like to have a few with the feet for table clearance.
    For the price they cant be beat.

I have both old and new pony,no functional difference in how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Montoya View Post
    +1 on the HF pipe clamps. I have some old craftsmen as well, and the HF clamps work just as well. I do like to have a few with the feet for table clearance.
    For the price they cant be beat.
    I have over 50 3/4" pipe clamps. They range from some vintage heavy no name models that are at least 50 years old, some Craftsman clamps that are probably 40 years old, Ponys and Harbor Freight. They all work. I'm not crazy about the older Craftsman with the trigger release on the sliding jaw, and occasionally (maybe one in 20 or so) you'll get a HF sliding jaw where the disk clutches just don't work. Throw it away (or return it) and move on.

The 3/4" Bessey ones seem solid. The heads do have a bit of a tendency to unscrew themselves, I find - some thread locking goop or tape will solve that.

I have always liked the Pony 3/4" but I just saw that they are now $27 on Amazon (used to buy them for $8 at Menard's). Seems like a lot, but they always seemed the strongest and easiest to use. I've tried other brands over the years and now don't use any pipe clamps anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    I have several 30-ish year old Craftsmans that I like, too. Last time I shopped Sears, I couldn't even find pipe clamps
    Soon, you won't be able to find Sears. lol

Thanks for the input everyone.

I have 2 Pony clamps (no support type stand) that my neighbors wife gave to me when he passed. I've never used them and they need to be de-rusted.

I thought the H Besseys seemed okay before I posted, and I also saw the ones at harbor freight but didn't dare mention that.