Thread: Planning on getting a jointer.

Planning on getting a jointer.

I am planning on getting a benchtop jointer when I pay off my benchtop planer. At first I been looking at the cutech 6inch model 40160HC with carbide tips are 329.99 but found out the tips are only 2 sided. Was also intersted in cutechs 8inch with carbide tips price at 449.99 which the tips are also 2 sided but the 8inch has extensions for longer boards. And the carbide tips for both are a 10 pack price at 44.99

Then I discoverd the Grizzly G0821 - 6" Benchtop Jointer with Spiral Cutterhead with carbide tips no extensions for 495.00 but not really planning on doing anything over 6 ft anyway mainly 4ft and smaller. But the carbide tips from grizzly are 4 sided and cost way less than cutechs 2 sided.

Found plenty of reviews on the cutechs but hardly any on this model G0821 from grizzly and wonder if anyone has one and how do you like or hate it?

I don't know about the Grizzly 6" jointer your are interested in, but love my Grizzly 8" jointer, except I wish I had a 12" sometimes...

I seem to remember that Grizzly used to provide references to owners of their tools, so prospective buyers could call Grizzly owners of a given tool for a reference. Perhaps this is still done? You might Call Grizzly and ask...

Just a thought. Hopefully some owners of the jointer you are interested in will chime up!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Only 6" jointer I have had was a Craftsman that was not capable of jointing flat, as the belt would slip. I tightened it as tight as possible, still no. I have a Grizzly G0609 with a Byrd cutterhead, and it is easily adjusted, and cuts great. Had it for several years.

I'm not a fan of bench-top jointers, but understand that some folks need that format due to space considerations. I did notice that Rikon has a unit with an insert head available...it was on the back cover of a recent Woodcraft flyer/catalog it might also be worth checking out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm not a fan of bench-top jointers, but understand that some folks need that format due to space considerations. I did notice that Rikon has a unit with an insert head available...it was on the back cover of a recent Woodcraft flyer/catalog it might also be worth checking out.
    I did look at it but with the price of the 2 sided cutters being at 99.99 for a 10 pack well I can get Carbide tips for the grizzly way below that price and they are 4 sided
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-19-2018 at 9:49 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Glad you brought this up. I too am needing a bench top in the near future. The Grizzly with shipping is almost 160 dollars more which can buy 3.5 packs of Cutech cutter heads. That’s 70 pieces of carbide for a head that holds 12. Since I only need one for edge jointing that would be a lifetime supply. All this makes me wonder if the cutters are interchangable between brands. The physical similarities are many hopefully the cutter head is too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Glad you brought this up. I too am needing a bench top in the near future. The Grizzly with shipping is almost 160 dollars more which can buy 3.5 packs of Cutech cutter heads. That’s 70 pieces of carbide for a head that holds 12. Since I only need one for edge jointing that would be a lifetime supply. All this makes me wonder if the cutters are interchangable between brands. The physical similarities are many hopefully the cutter head is too.
    well from my understanding talking to cutech that only 2 sided cutters will work on theirs.

Blog Entries
    I regret buying a benchtop jointer. And this after fair warning.

I have the 6" Cutech and I don't regret buying it. What I regret is not having room for a larger tool. The Cutech has flattened and edged many a board and leaves a remarkably clean finish. If I had the space, I'd get a "real" jointer, but this one does work.

As for the Grizzly benchtop, I'd have to see how well it works but it certainly appears to use a lot more cutters, which should be a good thing.

I'd go as big a you can. That being said, I enjoy my 8" Cutech. The extensions help out a lot and when I need I can take my time and set up some infeed and outfeed rollers.

How big is your bench?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff

interestingly the 8 inch cutech jointer's "bed" (extensions) is longer than my old delta cast iron floor model 6" ...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

You mention you want to do 4 and 6 ft boards...I am not sure if a bench top jointer will be effective for that length of board. I always thought that anything longer than 2 ft was dicey for a bench top.