Thread: Crimping spiral pipes?

Crimping spiral pipes?

Hi,

I finally got the pipes for my DC system and it turns out that spiral pipes were cheaper than the 26 gauge snap-lock equivalent. My question is now this:

Can I crimp the end of the spiral pipes so that I can reverse the connections to the fittings and prevent clogging? I could then start from each tool and insert the pipe into the fitting and so on all the way to the collector.

Merci!

I think you will find that reducing the pipe diameter enough to fit into a fitting that is sized to fit into the pipe is a stretch. So to speak. Practically speaking you would not gain much- clogging will not be an issue.

Blog Entries
    There are several fittings in my ductwork that have the crimp facing the "wrong way" & have never had any clogging issues.

I am having to crimp my spiral in a few places, the only place its a little tough is on the seam - you can actually make a little cut with some tin snips to help. Just using one of those $20 crimpers from home depot. I bought my pipe locally but fittings online and not everyone can agree on what 6" or 7" actually is.

Spiral is not normally crimped, but it can be done if necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They make couplings, which slide on the ends of spiral pipe to join pieces together. Some of your fittings also require couplings.