Thread: Engraving Paneled Mug with 4 wheel rotary

Engraving Paneled Mug with 4 wheel rotary

has anyone does engraving on panelled mugs like these with a 4 wheel rotary (I'm using epilog) how did it turn out? any tips?

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/lib...SABEgLOjPD_BwE

I'm guessing your results will be less than adequate due to the ribbed nature of that glass. At best you would be able to cut 'rings' of some sort for the top and bottom....otherwise you would be flopping all over the drive wheels etc. Also, the focal plane of the surface will change throughout and result in uneven engravings. A smooth sided glass will be the way to go.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

"Root Beer Mugs"

Those hot-dog-turner rotary's, those of you who use 'em are braver souls than I

As for the flat sides I've done several of them, they engrave fine, just average out the focus between the high and low spots-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    "Root Beer Mugs"

Those hot-dog-turner rotary's, those of you who use 'em are braver souls than I

As for the flat sides I've done several of them, they engrave fine, just average out the focus between the high and low spots-
    If epilog sold a chuck style rotary for the mini 24 I'd order it right now that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris DeGerolamo View Post
    I'm guessing your results will be less than adequate due to the ribbed nature of that glass. At best you would be able to cut 'rings' of some sort for the top and bottom....otherwise you would be flopping all over the drive wheels etc. Also, the focal plane of the surface will change throughout and result in uneven engravings. A smooth sided glass will be the way to go.
    Yea I'm having a heck of a time finding those anywhere around me though; even the restaurant supply store doesn't have anything. I have one smooth mug from a dollar store and haven't seen them again since I got it

Dollar Tree has multiple options for glass beer mugs with smooth round sides. If you can’t find them in stock at a local store, online offers free shipping to your nearest Dollar Tree store
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

If the flats give you trouble on he rotating deal, find something round and make a jig to run on the rotary. Duct tape works wonders for making something fit. I don't know if it will engrave well or not but Kev says it will and that's good enough for me.
    Hobby Laser - 1800 X 1300 dual tube Shenhui (100 and 80W)