Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions? Using an impact driver for pocket screws

I use a Bosch GDR 18V-Li impact driver for all of my pocket screws and normal wood screws. I've never had a pocket screw punch through or strip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kory Cassel View Post
    My 18V Milwaukee has three torque/speed ranges although I tend to leave it on the highest setting.
    Which Milwaukee impact do you have. I have one and am not aware of any torque/speed settings.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    No problem here using an 18 volt PC impact driver. You need to learn to feather the trigger. I am always wondering why the pros only know full or no trigger and as a result they are always using the driver like their trigger finger is in full spasm instead of just letting off smoothly at the screw nears the bottom.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Which Milwaukee impact do you have. I have one and am not aware of any torque/speed settings.
    It is an old Milwaukee Fuel # 2653-20. I bought it years ago. It might be the original Fuel impact but I don't know. It has a soft button below the grip you press to change speeds. I really only ever use in on 3 (the highest setting). It has a variable speed trigger as well as the three switchable ranges. The original magazine reviews, if I remember correctly, complained that it might be too bulky and heavy duty for a 1/4" impact, but I've gotten used to it. On the lowest setting it can be quite precise. Some other models I've since tried are more svelte and ergonomic IMO. Wouldn't trade the brushless motor though.
    Dojo Kun, 1: Be humble and polite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    We use impacts on pocket screws all day long. Its just about technique and operator control. We have a couple small drivers that are slower RPM which are good for someone to tends to over-torque but once you get the timing, and paying attention to the sound down the bigger faster drills are fine. I dont ever worry about which impact I use even in 1/2" ply with 1" screws. Its all about the feel/timing/sound.
    Ditto. I tend to use a 12v driver for softer woods and plywood and an 18v for harder woods. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Are you buying spax screws for pocket holes? We buy pocket hole screws in bulk. I cant phathom spax could compete on price. Will give it a look.
    I testify Spax works fine. And they have "better" sizes for some applications.

Why am I always disagreeing with everyone? Could I really always be wrong?

I would never use an impact driver for pocket screws; way too easy to blow them out.
    I use a drill with a low torque setting, and then do the last few turns by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Why am I always disagreeing with everyone? Could I really always be wrong?

I would never use an impact driver for pocket screws; way too easy to blow them out.
    I use a drill with a low torque setting, and then do the last few turns by hand.
    I'm not going to disagree with you because I also would avoid an impact driver for this. Even with my 10.6v CXS drill/driver, I can overdrive a pocket screw really easily if I'm not careful. I personally don't see any advantage to using an impact driver for this particular kind of work..BUT...I'm very kewel with folks using what they prefer/have for the work. And yea, there have been times when I've felt the need to "sneak up on it" like you describe with a hand-driver to avoid an issue.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

what are pocket screws

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    what are pocket screws
    ROFLOL....rabble-rouser...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yeah maybe

I have some screws in my pocket, I could send to you if that will help.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    what are pocket screws

They are screws used to hold parts together when you use quality off the shelf glue instead of complicated joinery and picking which animal you're going to render to make glue/have for dinner.

The impact driver that I learned with. No batteries needed......

Impact Driver.JPG

thanks Rick, Screws in my pocket poked through the pocket. After to many years with the same tool belt they poked through that. Got crap from a carpenter once who saw I had sown the belt many times and even stapled it with an office staple. Got a nice favorite baseball mitt colour new belt and in not long it started coming apart. Other things since then.

Martin not sure id call it complicated, it was done that way for 1000 years till the gizmo inventors arrived.