Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Deep East Texas

Hello from Deep East Texas

Hello to everyone,

I hope that I am posting this in the correct category.

My name is Thomas and I just joined the forum and have absolutely zero experience with any and all forms of wood turning. I do have many years experience operating a metal lathe and mill and very active with the hobby today.
    I have just recently become interested in possibly buying a wood lathe and hopefully learning enough about this hobby to produce some basic items. I have been doing some research on the internet about a good lathe to buy that will fit my novice experience and still allow for advancing into the hobby. I am considering the Laguna Revo 12/16 Midi Lathe, Rikon Model 70-220VSR or Jet JWL-1221-VS and would appreciate an opinion which of these lathes would be a good investment and any other suggestions.

Thank you,
    ThomasT
    TomasT
    May the sun always shine and the wind be to your back.

Welcome aboard!

From those three 12" machines I'd pick the Laguna because it offers an upgrade path to 16" turning for the same base price as the Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Welcome aboard!

From those three 12" machines I'd pick the Laguna because it offers an upgrade path to 16" turning for the same base price as the Jet.
    Hello David,

Thank you, I had not thought about that. The main thing that I like about the Jet is the better speed range.

Have a great day,
    Thomas
    TomasT

IMO, the Jet is the best machine of the three lathes mentioned but any of them would be a good starter lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    IMO, the Jet is the best machine of the three lathes mentioned but any of them would be a good starter lathe.
    Hello Dennis

Glad to hear that, I studied their specification sheet and they looked close to the same except for the speed range. Thanks for your help.

Have a great day,
    Thomas
    TomasT

I don't know what you are looking at but their speed ranges are al most identical 50 - 3500 Laguna 60 - 3600 Jet. I would go for the Laguna even though I have not turned on one as I have used the Jet and was far from impressed. I would also buy the Delta 46-460 over the Jet as I have two 46-460s and they have been problem free since they were purchased when they first came out. I have never been a fan of Laguna but that midi seems to cover all the bases.

Hello ThomasT!

You might also consider a used lathe. If you find you don't like woodturning you don't have much invested and can probably sell it for what you paid for it. If you discover you DO like woodturning (most likely!) you won't have much invested, can sell it for what you paid for it, then put that money into an upgrade. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of the lathes you mentioned, but many people (myself included) found themselves immersed in woodturning and get a huge benefit from the many features of better lathe. A lot of people, including me, didn't take long to discover this!

If there is a turning club within driving distance in Deep Texas it would probably be helpful - you can probably find people with a variety of lathes, willing to let you try them, and happy to share what they know and help you get started!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Travis View Post
    Hello to everyone,

I hope that I am posting this in the correct category.

My name is Thomas and I just joined the forum and have absolutely zero experience with any and all forms of wood turning. I do have many years experience operating a metal lathe and mill and very active with the hobby today.
    I have just recently become interested in possibly buying a wood lathe and hopefully learning enough about this hobby to produce some basic items. I have been doing some research on the internet about a good lathe to buy that will fit my novice experience and still allow for advancing into the hobby. I am considering the Laguna Revo 12/16 Midi Lathe, Rikon Model 70-220VSR or Jet JWL-1221-VS and would appreciate an opinion which of these lathes would be a good investment and any other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    I don't know what you are looking at but their speed ranges are al most identical 50 - 3500 Laguna 60 - 3600 Jet. I would go for the Laguna even though I have not turned on one as I have used the Jet and was far from impressed. I would also buy the Delta 46-460 over the Jet as I have two 46-460s and they have been problem free since they were purchased when they first came out. I have never been a fan of Laguna but that midi seems to cover all the bases.
    Hello Bill

I appreciate your first hand experience with the Delta and sharing with me, this is exactly the kind of help that I am looking for. I had looked at this lathe and two things I had questions about, 1) was the location of the on/off - speed controls and 2) was the minimum low speed of 250rpm. Let me re-state that I have no experience with any wood turning lathe so I based my initial opinion on what I have learned reading and viewing various youtube videos. I watched several videos where the item (bowl or whatever) was out of balance and the operator turned the lathe down below 200 rpm to get started truing up the piece. My lack of knowledge and experience with wood turning most likely has me too focused on the minimum rpm. I have owned and operated metal lathes for many years and do a lot of machining at low rpm, and again this has influenced my reasoning. I am sure that you are an experienced wood turner and I appreciate your help and advice, I will reconsider the Delta.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT
    TomasT

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hello ThomasT!

You might also consider a used lathe. If you find you don't like woodturning you don't have much invested and can probably sell it for what you paid for it. If you discover you DO like woodturning (most likely!) you won't have much invested, can sell it for what you paid for it, then put that money into an upgrade. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with any of the lathes you mentioned, but many people (myself included) found themselves immersed in woodturning and get a huge benefit from the many features of better lathe. A lot of people, including me, didn't take long to discover this!

If there is a turning club within driving distance in Deep Texas it would probably be helpful - you can probably find people with a variety of lathes, willing to let you try them, and happy to share what they know and help you get started!

JKJ
    Hello JKJ,
    I have considered buying a used lathe if I could find one in like new condition and at a price that would be according with the unit. I am currently retired and enjoy designing and building model stem engines and would like to be able to incorporate some wood turning into some new designs. I am fairly sure that I will get hooked on wood turning once I get started. If I may ask you a follow up question...not sure if I read into your statement that the Midi size lathe would not satisfy me after a while. Are you saying that I should widen my scope of possible lathes to consider?

Thank you and have a great day,
    ThomasT
    TomasT

Thomas;
    Since you are a machinist, another option is to build your own lathe. You are not too far from me, I live in Lufkin. Come by and see my home built machine and visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Thomas;
    Since you are a machinist, another option is to build your own lathe. You are not too far from me, I live in Lufkin. Come by and see my home built machine and visit.
    Hello Dennis,

First off, that you for the invitation to come and visit. I live way out in the woods in Etoile so will try to visit at some time. The problem with me making a wood lathe is time. I am currently building from my own design a full size 1898 Buggy / Horseless Carriage, just completed a Press Brake and I have a lot more model steam engines that I plan to build. I have been retired for over 16 years now and further behind than ever.. he he. I have a small shop so will need to complete the Buggy and move it out before I buy another lathe.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT
    TomasT

If I may ask you a follow up question...not sure if I read into your statement that the Midi size lathe would not satisfy me after a while. Are you saying that I should widen my scope of possible lathes to consider?
    Thomas,

It may very well satisfy you, but it's also difficult to know. Much would depend on what you end up turning. (as well as little things like budget, shop space, etc.!)

I turn a wide variety of things, many small. The last few days I've turned a tiny bowl, goblet, and tumbler, on the order of 1/2" or less tall. I have five lathes, plenty to choose from.

While these could be don't on the smallest lathe here, I almost always use the largest, a Powermatic 3520b, unless another project or a visitor is tying up that one. The PM will turn a 20" bowl or platter and the bed (with extension) is over 50" long, massively heavy, powerful motor - sounds like overkill, right?! However, some of the features make it a joy to turn even the tiniest thing - the components, e.g. 1-1/4" spindle, the banjo, tool rests with 1" post, and tailstock, are strong and heavy with no possible flexing. Adjustments, such as advancing the quill, are smooth and high precision. The long bed is great when working on even tiny things - I can move the tailstock way back when not using it; I make trays that slide along the bed to keep tools and other things handy. After using them I hate to be without features like, control features like variable speed drive with reverse, digital speed indicator, and remote emergency cutoff switch. The precision is excellent.

I also have a Jet 1642 lathe set up in the same shop. Although it doesn't have quite the capacity or mass it is still an excellent machine for almost anything I want to do. On the other hand, my smaller lathes do not have reverse or variable speed and are quite light in weight which requires compromise on stiffness. The precision is not as good but I can still use them effectively for smaller things. (I mostly keep them for the portability.) The larger lathes are far more enjoyable to use. And when I do want to turn something larger it's all ready.

A lot of very good woodturners went through the same process: buy a low-end lathe, acquire some skill, become addicted to turning, buy a better lathe. Of all the turners I know personally, none has ever said they had too much lathe! Unfortunately it takes time and experience to even understand the differences in the tools.

Another great way to proceed is to take some beginners group classes, then take some one-on-one lessons in the instructor's shop. This could get you up to speed quickly. If you happen to get up to east TN give me a shout and I can show and let you try some different options for lathes and tools.

BTW, I've been spinning wood maybe 16-17 years, can't remember. This is my primary machine and where I play, along with a wider view of my woodturning alcove.
    lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

Hey, I also like playing with metals and have some small lathes and mills plus welders, plasma torch, etc. I haven't made a steam engine but would like to! I also have turned aluminum, brass, steel, and acrylic on the wood lathe with standard woodturning tools.

There is a metalworking section here on SMC - how about posting a few photos of your steam engines?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thomas,

It may very well satisfy you, but it's also difficult to know. Much would depend on what you end up turning. (as well as little things like budget, shop space, etc.!)

I turn a wide variety of things, many small. The last few days I've turned a tiny bowl, goblet, and tumbler, on the order of 1/2" or less tall. I have five lathes, plenty to choose from.

While these could be don't on the smallest lathe here, I almost always use the largest, a Powermatic 3520b, unless another project or a visitor is tying up that one. The PM will turn a 20" bowl or platter and the bed (with extension) is over 50" long, massively heavy, powerful motor - sounds like overkill, right?! However, some of the features make it a joy to turn even the tiniest thing - the components, e.g. 1-1/4" spindle, the banjo, tool rests with 1" post, and tailstock, are strong and heavy with no possible flexing. Adjustments, such as advancing the quill, are smooth and high precision. The long bed is great when working on even tiny things - I can move the tailstock way back when not using it; I make trays that slide along the bed to keep tools and other things handy. After using them I hate to be without features like, control features like variable speed drive with reverse, digital speed indicator, and remote emergency cutoff switch. The precision is excellent.

I also have a Jet 1642 lathe set up in the same shop. Although it doesn't have quite the capacity or mass it is still an excellent machine for almost anything I want to do. On the other hand, my smaller lathes do not have reverse or variable speed and are quite light in weight which requires compromise on stiffness. The precision is not as good but I can still use them effectively for smaller things. (I mostly keep them for the portability.) The larger lathes are far more enjoyable to use. And when I do want to turn something larger it's all ready.

A lot of very good woodturners went through the same process: buy a low-end lathe, acquire some skill, become addicted to turning, buy a better lathe. Of all the turners I know personally, none has ever said they had too much lathe! Unfortunately it takes time and experience to even understand the differences in the tools.

Another great way to proceed is to take some beginners group classes, then take some one-on-one lessons in the instructor's shop. This could get you up to speed quickly. If you happen to get up to east TN give me a shout and I can show and let you try some different options for lathes and tools.

BTW, I've been spinning wood maybe 16-17 years, can't remember. This is my primary machine and where I play, along with a wider view of my woodturning alcove.
    lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

Hey, I also like playing with metals and have some small lathes and mills plus welders, plasma torch, etc. I haven't made a steam engine but would like to! I also have turned aluminum, brass, steel, and acrylic on the wood lathe with standard woodturning tools.

There is a metalworking section here on SMC - how about posting a few photos of your steam engines?

JKJ
    Hello again JKJ,
    I surely appreciate your help and understand the process of really getting into a hobby. My shop is small ( 10-foot by 30-foot ) and that dictates to a large degree the size lathe and related machines that I can add. My primary hobby is metal working and those machines occupy the largest portion of the shop space. I am just wanting to integrate some wood turning in with my metal working.

Thank you again for all the help and have a great day,
    ThomasT
    TomasT

Small shop space

My shop is small ( 10-foot by 30-foot ) and that dictates to a large degree the size lathe and related machines that I can add.
    With shop space constraints some people get a small lathe and keep it on a shelf, then get it out and put it on a workbench for use. This is fine for a mini lathe (such as a Jet with a 10" swing) but those you listed might be too heavy, I don't know. Besides the weight another thing to consider with this is the height of the lathe spindle. For woodturning, it is generally advised to have the height about elbow height. This will allow more comfortable movement which will lead to both less fatigue and better tool control.

Another option for optimizing space is to double up on the space. Get a lathe without the typical stand and build a custom cabinet with a top at the right height for the lathe, and doors or drawers for space to keep tools and things (and keep the chips out) and possibly a tool rack or two on the ends. One thing to consider with a closed cabinet is when standing at the lathe it is sometimes helpful to have a few inches of space under the lathe for better stance, balance, and movement. To turn anything other than miniatures the entire body needs to shift and move with the cut. (The "Woodturner's Dance") Mounting a small lathe towards the front of a sturdy top and overhanging the top a little over the front of the cabinet might work.

I think a lot of turners here work in small shops so they might have better ideas. (I built my shop 24x62 and wish I had made it 6' wider!)

JKJ

Thanks JKJ,

I have been considering the factory sand vs a shop built cabinet.

Have a great day,
    ThomasT
    TomasT