Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seduced by technology, sticking toe in CNC waters

Yeah, i just searched the country and there are three Camasters for sale. I think they are all Stinger II's with 4x8 beds for $16.5 and $20-25. I didnt check their forum, and i know that is a popular method of reselling machines

The only compelling stuff ive seen made with a CNC is what MTM does for his cutting boards and chess boards. I guess Frank makes some really wacky stuff that is interesting on his CNC. Other than that, i see people forcing the issue, making trinkets, or pumping out cabinet boxes or flatpack stuff. For example--and his project is great so dont take this the wrong way-- but William's drawer with finger joints and dividers above is something i could do at the table saw or shaper pretty quickly and easily. By the time he drew it and setup the tool paths and clamped it vertically in his jig, i could probably do it in the same amount of time. Now, he obviously outperforms me if we need to make a dozen. My point being, i dont think its worth $4,000 for me to make finger joints slightly faster and easier than i would with a table saw/shaper/bandsaw. Text, inlays, other forms of engraving are clear and compelling reasons to own a mid level machine. I guess im just not connecting the dots between woodworking and CNC capabilities. I made fantastic things with digi-tools in college, and people around me made fantastic things. Almost none of it was furniture. They were mostly topography models, art installations, stencils, signs, and building models.

I just need to pull the trigger and explore, i feel. Anyway, i apologize for the hijack! OP, please buy one and then tell me it is totally worth it and convince me to do the same.

Pre-owned Camaster Stinger I machines do come up occasionally, but they sell really quickly and for good money...with good reason. That's why I and some others have mentioned a more-modest machine for "toe dipping", but one that can also do real work. A good YouTube example of that is Winston Moy who has eeked so much out of Sapeoko that they recently hired him and talked him into moving from New Jersey to the left-coast. Now granted, he's a software wiz and does most of his design work in Fusion 360 at this point, but the machine and the included software is very approachable by beginners for under $2K.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Is there a post processor for VCarve Pro?
    Yes, Vectric has included a post-processor for the Shapeoko since v8.5 --- there's also one developed by the community which is on the Shapeoko wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruhland View Post
    ...I would like to stay in the $2-3000.00 range if possible, and not sure this is even for me yet... .... I think the big thing i need to figure out is exactly what is i want to do with one, and what exactly it is that the machine can do. Plug and Play would be awesome....
    D
    What I suggest is starting with the design software, and see how you like creating it with the tools now available. Fusion 360 is free for students, hobbyists and even startups (i.e. commercial use if making less than $100k). Vectric has free demos of all of their packages, I would suggest trying VCarve. You can do everything with the demos except export g-code. Try all the things you think you may want to do, furniture pieces, signs, etc. Figuring out how big of a machine you need is key.

There are lots of machines in between the Shapeoko and the Camaster. Look at Axiom and Probotix, both have plug and play systems. If you are willing to do assembly (note that the Shapeoko is a kit you assemble), CNC Router Parts and Fineline automation have some nice machines in a variety of sizes. There are cheap Chinese machines you can buy, but they are often difficult to get working due to poor documentation and often have very poor electronics.

Of course the cheapest machines are full blown DIY, mine was about $2800, including the computer and Mach4 software, but I got a really good deal on my extrusions by keeping an eye out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

UPDATE: Been doing lots and lots of research...headed to a Rockler store tomorrow to get a hands on demo of a New Wave "Shark" Im still undecided if i want a Cnc or dedicated 40 watt laser engraver machine. I think I have bumped my budget up to the 3500-$5k range.

I see a lot of advertisement for "Shark" and "Piranha" but dont see a lot of folks in this forum using them

D
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

David, be sure you read lots of reviews about any machines you are considering including those offered at retail by the woodworking stores...it can be eye opening sometimes.
    --

I looked at that line in May or so last year when I was shopping. Lots of plastic and lots of issues, do some research online... Please. I went with a Fine Line Automation but since I got mine in July he had a run of bad machines. Not sure if the new ones are improved. I have no complaints with mine. I would keep looking for a Camaster, a used one.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

...headed to a Rockler store tomorrow to get a hands on demo of a New Wave "Shark" I..... I think I have bumped my budget up to the 3500-$5k range.

Rocklers usually have some Axiom machines, they would be a step up from the Next Wave ones, higher priced though. Higher quality usually come with higher prices...
    Colorado Woodworkers Guild
    Colorado CNC User Group

Forum sponsor Grizzly does have the Shark on sale right now, but again, check the reviews of any machine you are seriously considering.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    David, be sure you read lots of reviews about any machines you are considering including those offered at retail by the woodworking stores...it can be eye opening sometimes.
    Thanks! Just kicking tires and actually gonna see one work.... if i have to wait to get a better quality machine i will do that... when i started this thread i did not even know what a water cooled spindle was for.... i got one of those fancy traveling woodworking shows coming my way in a few weeks...gonna go see what they have there as well.... i do keep hearing Axiom over and over as well as Laguna too..... Thanks for all your help so far folks....
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw

Stay away from the Sharks. I made the mistake of buying one a few years ago at Rockler. IMO, they are more of a toy for a teenager than a CNC router. There is a reason no one else is making machines out of plastic. They have a small forum with several users that believe it is a great machine but too many while I was in there were unimpressed and flat out disappointed in the machines and sold them. Mine was only capable of using a palm router. Some models will allow certain full sized routers but I don't see how they can be very stable with that much weight. They will do the job to an extent, problem is you will be spending more time cleaning up tool marks and uneven surfaces than the time it took to cut the part. You would have to compensate heavily on speed and depth of cut to get a fairly decent machining. In that price range there are just too many other companies out there with better products to choose from.

Thanks! Just kicking tires and actually gonna see one work.... if i have to wait to get a better quality machine i will do that... when i started this thread i did not even know what a water cooled spindle was for.... i got one of those fancy traveling woodworking shows coming my way in a few weeks...gonna go see what they have there as well.... i do keep hearing Axiom over and over as well as Laguna too..... Thanks for all your help so far folks....
    And then there are air cooled spindles....

You will not see much in the way of CNC at the "traveling" woodworking shows. There was a single company at the one in Secaucus earlier this year. Small machine; reasonably nice, but certainly not mainstream. I did consider Axiom early on. The physical machine is an import, but the company is based in Ohio. The PowerMatic is the "same" machine.
    I just decided I wanted a US-produced machine this time around since I already have a shop full of Italian, German and Austrailian machinery.

I think that the more you learn about CNC machines and what they can do, the more compelling it will become to you to get involved. YouTube is chock full of great videos from makers as well as firms like Vectric who makes the VCarve Pro software that many folks use with their Camasters, ShopSabres, Axioms, etc. Learn all you can before you make your investment.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by dan nelson View Post
    Well if you ever want to talk cnc shoot me an email and we can arrange a shop visit sometime. Alot easier to discuss and show face to face. Im located in Palmyra 50 minutes east of Madison.
    Check your email...
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-10-2019 at 8:39 AM.

David, Responded to your email. Come on over. Looking forward to the visit. Dan