Thread: Dust mask which works with beards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    Very interesting! Any problem making sure to keep breathing through your mouth?

Tim
    Not really. When I first started using the mask, I'd occasionally forget, and breath in through my nose. But then I get the odors of the shop, which are a quick reminder that I don't want to do that. Now correct breathing is ingrained.

Any issues with dry mouth from breathing thru your mouth? I have a beard and I also have sleep apnea so I use a CPAP machine with a nose pillow mask. I wonder if an adapter could be made to connect the hose from the CPAP mask to a pair of 3M filters?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Any issues with dry mouth from breathing thru your mouth? I have a beard and I also have sleep apnea so I use a CPAP machine with a nose pillow mask. I wonder if an adapter could be made to connect the hose from the CPAP mask to a pair of 3M filters?
    Dunno. I had to look up "nose pillow mask". Does that mask really seal the CPAP thing to your nose without leaks? That would be important to prevent dust inhalation, but I don't think it is a design requirement for CPAP. If it does seal perfectly to the nose, making an adapter to 3M filters shouldn't be too difficult. I'd want to secure the filters to your head somehow; if they just dangle on the end of the CPAP tube, I think they'd be in the way of the woodworking.

Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that everyone is familiar with CPAP masks. Yes they definitely seal with little or no leaks, the CPAP works by pressurizing your airway so the seal is essential. The machines actually measure and record any leakage so you know it's time to replace the mask. I agree you need to secure the filters but rather than secure them to you face I would run the hose behind your back and secure it there. That way the weight on your face would be the mask itself and part of the hose which would be less than your approach where your face has to support the filters and the snorkel mouthpiece. Do you ever find the weight bothers you?
    This is the mask I wear, no that's not me its another dummy. One possible issue is that the mask has a mesh vent that would have to be sealed and of course the price of the mask (this one is on sale for $109 CND. )

Two links one to a snorkel type respirator
    http://duxterity.com/resp-o-rator/

and another to air mask type.
    https://www.rockler.com/trend-air-ci...ield-pro-34492
    I have a full beard and they both work well for me.