Thread: Posibly pre-WW11 engine lathes for sale

Blog Entries

Posibly pre-WW11 engine lathes for sale

A college in the Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities has recieved a grant to purchase modern CNC machines, and, it occurred to me they may be selling the old ones. They have a fleet of about a dozen of these lathes. May have others, too.
    Anyone interested in such a piece might want to look into it.
    My shop's too small.

It might help to point out which college in order to make it less a guessing game for us all?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    It might help to point out which college in order to make it less a guessing game for us all?
    I,too would have to look it up.
    I was merely looking over new threads, know that many of you are into such items.
    At that moment I recalled seeing an article about the grant in The Moline Dispatch about a week or so ago.
    Since I have neither the desire nor space for one, at that time tossed it out of my mind.

Blog Entries
    Folks, this is the best I could do.
    I tried to post a link to the story but an image of the page was all I could get.
    It was on the front page of the December 15 Moline Dispatch.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
    I hope these go to those who would use them rather than be used as a coffee table or such.....a museum piece.

https://qconline.com/eedition/#tracking-source=menu-nav

Scroll down to Dec. 15.

Appreciate trying to do that, Bill, but it requires a subscription to view any larger. I'm not near enough to take advantage of this if it's happening, but maybe someone who's more local can.

Blog Entries
    I sure hope so, Roy.
    I'd hate to see even 1 of these machines go to someone who wants a lawn ornament.
    They made military hardware at the Rock Island Arsenal and later given to local schools where I'm sure they saw heavy use for the past 70 some years.
    If cared for and used regularly they will last well into the second half of this century.

I have an old Reed screw cutting lathe dated 1884. They kind that took a belt coming down out of the ceiling. I have turned some incredible stuff with it over the years. Made an insert to shoot 223's out of a 12 gauge, parts for muskets, cannon wheels, loading tools for obsolete cartridges, etc.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Perry Made an insert to shoot 223's out of a 12 gauge[/QUOTE]

What?
    I'd like to see a shot of that piece.
    I've run quite a few old turret lathes that predate ww11, perhaps ww1.
    I was always fond of Geisholts.
    The place I retired from had some ancient relics still plugging along.
    Not too many years prior to that job they still ran many of their machines from belts up to the ceiling. I think a steam engine generated power.
    A lot of war parts made on the same turret lathes I ran for many years.

qconline.com/news/local/education/moline-school-manufacturing-program-gets-gift/article_1fcf58b0-9361-57cf-893e-695e49273e46.html

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Ronald.
    At least they still have them.
    No mention of what they will do with them.
    Something for someone to watch I hope.