Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a better respirator that takes a 3M filter?

I used to have to wear a respirator for work occasionally, as well. Most of the ones we used were MSA. The one I use in the shop now is a North. Takes the standard P100 cartridges. Looks like you can get the half-face on Amazon for about $22.
    Regards,

Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Jim, did you get the 1-strap or 2-strap version?
    One strap.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I'm taking another look at this thing- so it seems this doesn't really have an air-tight seal. I guess this is really just for particulates and not fumes? I believe I'm still sold on it as a comfortable mask for sawdust, but I also want something for epoxy resins and solvents. For that I want something that seals to the face.
    Yes, particulate. When I'm spraying, I use a different mask; one that's designed to filter VOC, etc. The one I have for that came from Lee Valley and replaced an old AO unit I had for many years but could no longer get cartridges for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

I find the 7000 series far more comfortable than the 6000 which I used to buy.

JKJ
    John, Can you tell me what you found uncomfortable using the 6000 series? That’s what I have and I get a headache and an ache on the bridge of my nose when I wear it for long periods. It is still in good shape, but I’d gladly pay to replace it if the 7000 series would make the pain go away. Thanks! Jon

Some time ago I built my own dust mask, which I wear every day. It uses standard 3M filters, like Malcolm wants. My motivation was to have a dust mask that works with a beard. I posted about it at https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ks-with-beards . Although Malcolm's concern about 3M's straps was not part of my design requirements, as it happens my design does not use straps. The mask is held in place by my teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Some time ago I built my own dust mask, which I wear every day. It uses standard 3M filters, like Malcolm wants. My motivation was to have a dust mask that works with a beard. I posted about it at https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ks-with-beards . Although Malcolm's concern about 3M's straps was not part of my design requirements, as it happens my design does not use straps. The mask is held in place by my teeth.
    What kind of chemicals are you using in your shop? If you're that concerned about a little dust getting past some facial hair then you must be concerned enough to wear that mask all day, everyday in a dusty shop. Why not just shave? Does that thing cover your nose too?

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by marty fretheim View Post
    What kind of chemicals are you using in your shop? If you're that concerned about a little dust getting past some facial hair then you must be concerned enough to wear that mask all day, everyday in a dusty shop. Why not just shave? Does that thing cover your nose too?

Marty
    I'm mostly concerned about dust. I do have a cyclone hooked to the stationary machines, and a vacuum hooked to the handheld power tools, but there are often things that I do which throw dust in the air. A dust mask that works is a good thing.

Shave? I don't think so. I've worn a beard for nearly fifty years, and I'm not likely to give it up. A good dust mask, which I now have, is an easy fix.

No, the mask does not cover my nose. Do you swim? You breathe in through your mouth, and out through your nose. Same thing for this mask.

3M half-mask comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    John, Can you tell me what you found uncomfortable using the 6000 series? That’s what I have and I get a headache and an ache on the bridge of my nose when I wear it for long periods. It is still in good shape, but I’d gladly pay to replace it if the 7000 series would make the pain go away. Thanks! Jon
    I can't promise it will fix the headaches but I can say the 7000s feel a lot better to me. They are made from a silicone that is softer and more pliable against the skin; the 6000s I have are made of a harder and stiffer material. I think the shape is different too. They claim an "advanced silicone material for increased comfort and greater durability" so I suspect they've had complaints that forced a change.

If you look through the views on the left of this page you might be able to see how it differs from yours.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUS28
    Or maybe compare that to this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FTEDMM

If it's putting too much pressure on the bridge your nose I wonder if the upper straps need to be adjusted to pull it up a little more. I don't remember feeling any pressure there, at least not enough to bother me. I've worn it for an hour or two at a time before removing it for a bit.

Also, could the size of yours be too small? One thing you might do is get fitted before getting a new one - the safety department where I used to work did that but there also was a good industrial safety supplier here with people who seemed knew what they were doing. Or if you buy from Amazon you could get several sizes and just keep what fits the best.

If you are overly sensitive to pressure on the bridge, have you ever tried a powered filtered mask like the Trend? I have an older one that is very light weight and is supported only by a head band. Thing is, I don't think it filters as well as the 3M masks but I have no data to back that up.

Yikes, I just checked my Amazon orders list and I've bought nine of these half-mask respirators over the years! I use them in the shop and around the far for things like shearing llamas and alpacas and cleaning out the peacock house.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I can't promise it will fix the headaches but I can say the 7000s feel a lot better to me. They are made from a silicone that is softer and more pliable against the skin; the 6000s I have are made of a harder and stiffer material. I think the shape is different too. They claim an "advanced silicone material for increased comfort and greater durability" so I suspect they've had complaints that forced a change.

If you look through the views on the left of this page you might be able to see how it differs from yours.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUS28
    Or maybe compare that to this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FTEDMM

If it's putting too much pressure on the bridge your nose I wonder if the upper straps need to be adjusted to pull it up a little more. I don't remember feeling any pressure there, at least not enough to bother me. I've worn it for an hour or two at a time before removing it for a bit.

Also, could the size of yours be too small? One thing you might do is get fitted before getting a new one - the safety department where I used to work did that but there also was a good industrial safety supplier here with people who seemed knew what they were doing. Or if you buy from Amazon you could get several sizes and just keep what fits the best.

If you are overly sensitive to pressure on the bridge, have you ever tried a powered filtered mask like the Trend? I have an older one that is very light weight and is supported only by a head band. Thing is, I don't think it filters as well as the 3M masks but I have no data to back that up.

Yikes, I just checked my Amazon orders list and I've bought nine of these half-mask respirators over the years! I use them in the shop and around the far for things like shearing llamas and alpacas and cleaning out the peacock house.

JKJ
    Thanks for the info, John. If the Amazon pictures of the 6000 series are accurate, I have the large. I'll check when I go to the shop today, and maybe try to pull the top strap a little tighter. Maybe I'll look for someplace local that can help me with fitting. I'm in the Chicago area, so there must be someplace around here. I've looked at the PAPR units, but was concerned about the weight and lack of certification on the Trend, and about the cost of the 3M unit. Cheaper than damaged lungs, I know. I'll try the 3M 7000 series half mask first. If yours works for cleaning out the peacock house, it certainly ought to handle my wood dust needs!

Thanks for the info, John. If the Amazon pictures of the 6000 series are accurate, I have the large. I'll check when I go to the shop today, and maybe try to pull the top strap a little tighter. Maybe I'll look for someplace local that can help me with fitting. I'm in the Chicago area, so there must be someplace around here. I've looked at the PAPR units, but was concerned about the weight and lack of certification on the Trend, and about the cost of the 3M unit. Cheaper than damaged lungs, I know. I'll try the 3M 7000 series half mask first. If yours works for cleaning out the peacock house, it certainly ought to handle my wood dust needs!
    I've had the 3M 7502 mask for several years now and the head bands are not stretched out. The mask fits my face fine. Only complaint is the poor connection with particulate filters over my organic filters. The adapter between the two is not very secure. Using just one filter is very secure.

... If the Amazon pictures of the 6000 series are accurate, I have the large. ...
    If you got it from a store stocked like my local Home Depot, you have a 6000 series medium. (All their different "models" are different filters on the same mask for different prices at my store.)

Like John, I find the 7503 mask much more comfortable, but can't say specifically why. It is softer and does seal better and large fits my face better than medium, which all help. Can't positively say it'll help your issues though. (Or that you'd need a large for best fit.) The one quantifiable feature the 7000-series has is the exhaust port aims down, not forward, and is significantly less likely to fog my safety glasses or a face shield than the 6000-series I once had.

I like the Elipse and so does my pulmonologist (I have COPD). I wear glasses and have no problems with it.

Blog Entries
    My new 3M™ Half Facepiece Reusable Respirator 6200/07025(AAD) has replaceable parts where the elastic straps connect.
    3mtm-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-6200.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think my lungs are ok so far, but my memory is clearly failing. I got to my shop and checked my dust mask and found that I have the 7503. When I looked at the pictures on Amazon that John linked to, I could have sworn it was the 6000 series. I do wear it a lot, but I guess I don’t pay much attention to it. I’ve worn it for about 4 hours today and have had a headache for the last two despite adjusting the straps. Do you think it’s too late to put a 3M Airstream on my Christmas list?