Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millers Falls Buck Rodgers planes - why doesn't any one make modern versions?

Millers Falls Buck Rodgers planes - why doesn't any one make modern versions?

I love these planes. They're genuinely innovative designs, aside from the fact that they were never really meant for fine work.
    Of all the various 'collector' plane designs that have been copied over the years from the big names like L-N and Lee Valley, how come no one ever made a modern versions of these buggers?

Blog Entries
    Maybe woodworkers don't want plastic handles on a premium plane?

Second question would be why would a serious woodworker want a plane that was "never really meant for fine work?"

If a tool can not match my ability, then it isn't likely to coax money out of my wallet.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

These look pretty "Buck Rogers" to me.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Innovative makes sense if the result of the innovation is improved performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Shaefer View Post
    I love these planes. They're genuinely innovative designs, aside from the fact that they were never really meant for fine work.
    Of all the various 'collector' plane designs that have been copied over the years from the big names like L-N and Lee Valley, how come no one ever made a modern versions of these buggers?
    How about posting some pics of these Miller Falls Buck Rodgers planes? Please!

'never meant for fine work' in that they have a fairly generous throat for a high-end tool. Something easily remedied in a new plane. It's not like they were cheaply made. And maybe it's my personal taste, but I don't feel plane makers experiment enough with handle materials that aren't wood. Brese has made some stunning planes with composite handles, for example.

You look at the plane, and there's some good ideas in it. It's got a beefy casting with a nice heavy toe and a raised knob. The adjuster wheel in the back is huge, which probably jumps out to any of us with order small wheel Stanley planes. And the handle is a steel plate with the composite grip over top. that's never going anywhere. The designer of this plane spent a lot of time thinking about it instead of jsut copying an old Stanley plane or even an older infill plane.

sorry for the large pic. grabbed it off this thread elsewhere.
    https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...w-i-wanted-one
    the original product photos don't do it justice.

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers".
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

I’ve never seen these before reading your thread but they look really cool! Even if they weren’t good users they’d be anice talking point in a hand plane collection. Too bad the ones I just looked up on eBay are WAY out of my price range!

Buck Rogers, actually; no "d." And you can find pictures lots of places, including here: https://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/buckr.htm

I believe I have at least one of each Buck Rogers tools made, including planes, push drill, rasp sort of thing, etc., and I disagree with the premise these are not made for fine work. The mouths may be a bit wide, however, there is no reason why you can't set the chip breaker for a fine cut. Also, none of mine are for sale!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Here is what I have and use.05p2701s5.jpg

Call Rob Lee

Blog Entries
    Speaking of Rob Lee, does anyone else notice a slight resemblance between the profile of the Buck Rogers planes and the line of Veritas bench planes?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Speaking of Rob Lee, does anyone else notice a slight resemblance between the profile of the Buck Rogers planes and the line of Veritas bench planes?

jtk
    I always felt that the Lee Valley planes were influenced by the short run Stanley Gage series of planes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eaton View Post
    I’ve never seen these before reading your thread but they look really cool! Even if they weren’t good users they’d be anice talking point in a hand plane collection. Too bad the ones I just looked up on eBay are WAY out of my price range!
    and that's what bugs me. Every other 'rare' or 'gotta have it' plane on the collector market has some premium maker version. Stanley, Record, Preston, and Sargent certainly have plenty of imitators. I'd probably shell out Lie Nielsen or Veritas money for an homage to one of these buggers.

Blog Entries
    I always felt that the Lee Valley planes were influenced by the short run Stanley Gage series of planes
    Wow, those have never caught my attention. They always seemed to be more for collectors than for users.

It is kind of a sexy and slinky race car kind of design.

Who knows, maybe the Buck Rogers planes caught a little bit of design inspiration from them.

The frog and the tote on the Buck Rogers design especially have a similar look to the Veritas design.

jtk