Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher-repair or replace?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    Jim how long did your F&P last until it quit?
    About 5 years, Peter. I was disappointed because the technology was really kewel (including the motor design) and that's why I chose it in the kitchen plan originally, but when I found it was a service challenge here, replacement was the better choice. Also, it was really a great setup when it was just the two of us, but after our girls came into play (adopted in 2005), the dual drawer actually got a little cumbersome with both fitting things efficiently and having them both running constantly from volume. What I'd really like is a single drawer unit plus a full size DW for maximum flexibility, but our kitchen cannot accommodate that anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. Hoping mine will last a little longer.

Blog Entries
    Does anyone make a dishwasher whose door opens from the side?
    The first time you opened the door after a wash cycle you would know why these are not a feature found on home dishwashers.

We have a Bosh that is 10 years old and problem free.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The first time you opened the door after a wash cycle you would know why these are not a feature found on home dishwashers.
    Not to mention in the middle of a cycle to put something else in that needs washing... LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    appliances are not what they used to be a 13 year old appliance would be just getting broken in
    If this was 1965, I would agree with you. These days, not so much.

Warning, thread drift.

Our previous house had a nice Kitchen Aid. We built the house in 1985 and moved out in about 2000. At some point in the interim we had hardwood floors installed in the kitchen. We heard from the realtor that about six weeks after we moved out, the dishwasher died, and since we'd installed the hardwood up to the dishwasher, the countertop had to come off to get the dishwasher out. Oh well, it was 15 year old laminate anyway.

Replace. 13 years is a great run for a dishwasher.

Also, get the Bosch. In the last 5 years or so, I have replaced several dishwashers-helping friends, in laws and my own. The Bosch, hands down, was the easiest installation of any of the brands.

If my dish washer broke I would have to take her to the emergency room as my wife loves washing dishes by hand. I could never figure that out but she says it is relaxing to her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    If my dish washer broke I would have to take her to the emergency room as my wife loves washing dishes by hand. I could never figure that out but she says it is relaxing to her.
    Haha, #2 daughter is the same. Washing dishes by hand is her Zen thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    appliances arent what they used to be. We have two water heaters in our house, not that big of a house but thats the way it worked out. just replaced one water heater that was 7 years old, I replaced the other one last spring, it only lasted 4 years so the 6 year warranty replaced it free, I still had to install it. Dont know about any one else, I have tried different brands of propane water heaters and none of them last much much more than 6-8 years it seems like, just long enough to get past the 6 year warranty. These heaters were made and sold by an offshoot of the Rheem company which I always thought was a good outfit. They were built in Mexico.
    Rheem, Rudd, And GE water heaters are all the same. The difference between a 6 year, and a 9 year is the second anode, and a couple hundred bucks more money. You can install a second anode. We have been in our house 38+ years, and are on our second water heater. The first (State brand) lasted 18 years before gas valve failed. Replaced it with a Lowes 6 year unit, which has been in place for a little over 20 years. I guess I should have bought the 9 year one from Lowes instead, yeah, right! Our water contains some calcium, so eating away of tank is limited. Rental house has a Lowes that furnishes both hot water, and heat. It's over ten years old. As for DW, we have a GE "Potscrubber," that was rescued from a trash pile over 25 years ago. Replaced the pump (from another rescue DW,) and racks, along with door springs. It's definitely not the quietest, but only takes 38 minutes to do a load of dishes. This means after a big dinner, we have the dishes (two loads) done in less than an hour and half. FYI, our DW is mounted in pantry wall, so when you open door and roll out bottom rack, it is level with counter. No stooping to load and unload DW.

I've just been DW shopping as our 4 year old KitchenAid is falling apart. It was one of their higher end ones, but they all share the same crappy hardware. The wheels have broken on the bottom rack (it wouldn't track even before it broke, continually falling off the rails), the retractor spring on the door has broken, and cleaning out and replacing a part in the grinder/trap in the sump is a nightmare of major surgery requiting special tools and a good hour of disassembly once you actually know how to do it. Thick nasty sludge accumulates around the door gasket if you don't keep after it. (This is a machine lightly used by two older, careful adults, can't imagine how it would be with kids banging it around) It does do a good job of washing the dishes, albeit slowly.

Needless to say, KA and all its siblings are not in my short list for a replacement. (Sad, because previously we had them and they were great) The Bosch seems to have slightly better hardware; I need to fine a Meile to look at, they are popular with the high end kitchen crowd.

I remember being impressed that the new KA weighed about 1/3 as much as the old DW that came out of our house when we moved in. Unfortunately that seems to have translated to flimsy rather than well engineered.

Roger, we've had the issues with the wheels on the lower rack with our KitchenAid, but fortunately, they are easy to replace. But it's true that in general, appliances today just don't have the quality for long-term use that they did years ago, no matter what the brand. That's sad, honestly...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    Our previous house had a nice Kitchen Aid. We built the house in 1985 and moved out in about 2000. At some point in the interim we had hardwood floors installed in the kitchen. We heard from the realtor that about six weeks after we moved out, the dishwasher died, and since we'd installed the hardwood up to the dishwasher, the countertop had to come off to get the dishwasher out. Oh well, it was 15 year old laminate anyway.
    Same here. When we moved into our current house, we replaced the old dishwasher with a much better one, but since they had installed it, they had put down a nice new tile floor that blocked the dishwasher. Luckily, I was able to screw the leveling feet all the way in and it just barely came out, same with putting in the new one and then re-leveling it, but it was millimeters we're talking about. If I have to do it again sometime, I'll have to be careful to get a new dishwasher that will fit. I can't even go in from the top because the countertops are all granite.

OP says DW worked FINE until Grandson tripped and tweaked the hinges.

Somehow, ALL the posts jump to " !! REPLACE !! "

?????????????

How bout instead, spend a bit of time UN tweaking and testing for leaks ?

Back in Mayberry, Emmitt would come over and put his knee against one side and with his hand slightly yank the other side... and it would be fixed.

Probably anyway ... at least worth a try.

Consumerism is taking us over Guys.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 12-19-2018 at 7:32 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

I haven't installed a dishwasher in a long time. Have they figured out how to make them out of close to nothing, like they have for TV's, and refrigerators? Maybe the bent door is saying yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Same here. When we moved into our current house, we replaced the old dishwasher with a much better one, but since they had installed it, they had put down a nice new tile floor that blocked the dishwasher. Luckily, I was able to screw the leveling feet all the way in and it just barely came out, same with putting in the new one and then re-leveling it, but it was millimeters we're talking about. If I have to do it again sometime, I'll have to be careful to get a new dishwasher that will fit. I can't even go in from the top because the countertops are all granite.
    I think the people that bought the house (and who had to replace the dishwasher) just didn't have a sawzall handy to remove the old DW.....