Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dishwasher-repair or replace?

Blog Entries
    I have used 6 dishwashers in my life and none of them did a very good job cleaning dishes. We always pre-washed the dishes to get all the particulate matter off. After it was done, we either had to had dry the dishes to put them away or leave the door ajar overnight. Dishwashing soap is pretty caustic and eventually caused the glassware to become a bit cloudy. All this is to say that, in my experience, dishwashers really aren't worth the bother and expense.

So in our latest house, we have no dishwasher. One reason is the above but also, our kitchen is downsized and I wanted the cabinet space. I'm the handler of dirty dishes and I prefer to wash by hand. Since we have a small combination kitchen and great room, this has imposed a discipline on me to take care of the dishes immediately. We don't have dirty dishes sitting around.

Interesting trivia: The dishwasher would have been cheaper than the cabinet. Our architect argued that I would regret not having the dishwasher and insisted on making a cabinet section removable so that one could be put in later.

On a related note, we also have no garbage disposal. I wanted the space under the sink for storage and I never used the old disposal anyway. What we do have is a really awesome basket strainer (Kraus) that I only have to empty once per meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Our architect argued that I would regret not having the dishwasher and insisted on making a cabinet section removable so that one could be put in later.
    This was likely prudent so that the option is available with reasonable effort for the next owner...one may even need to go in prior to sale by you or your heirs just for marketability.

We have no disposal, either...we compost. But we're also on septic and "in general" disposals are not usually used in that case. When I did have one in a previous home, it was rarely used.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Jim, Another thing at work here is where we live. There is a LOT of money floating around here inside the DC beltway. Around here, any house under a million is considered a fixer-upper or a tear down. It's generally agreed among the locals that a kitchen that's 10 years old (and gorgeous) is dated and in need of renovation. The likelihood is that, if we were to sell, the new owner would rip it all out.

Go figure.

Professor Dr. SWMBO grew up in Falls Church just inside the beltway on Executive Avenue and my "office" prior to retirement was in Fair Lakes. So yea...I do understand your area in that respect!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    So I called a repair man, it would cost $445 to repair,didn't seem worth repairing, so I ordered a new Bosch for $900 plus installation costs, will be installed on Dec 27. Thanks for all the advice.
    Dennis