Thread: Compact Woodworking Benches

Compact Woodworking Benches

I'm looking at downsizing in a couple years and not having a full-blown shop. While this may seem like a step backwards in my woodworking career I'm looking at it as a step forwards that is a part of a general goal of simplifying life so I (and my family) can concentrate on quality time. I will still have all the power tools required for me to do on site renovation work (or thickness some boards), but at home I'd like to go exclusively hand tools for fun.

As we will likely move into a condo or apartment I would like to build a small work bench with storage underneath and a wall mounted tool cabinet that could share a spare room with a desk. Good to get this done now while I have all the big tools accessible.

What I'm interested in is hearing other peoples experiences who have done woodworking out of a small space and if possible any links to pictures of small benches and set-ups https://mechanicguides.com/best-woodworking-bench/?

Aaron

I built one of these a few years ago:
    http://www.leevalley.com/us/Wood/pag...158,56642&ap=1
    Mine is all maple, I dovetailed the drawers, and went with recessed pulls. I also added a heavy tool mobile base to it so I could move it around as needed.
    It looks great and is nice to work on using hand tools. I have mine in the pump house and it is my cold weather shop.

Try Japanese way

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wilson I View Post
    I'm looking at downsizing in a couple years and not having a full-blown shop. While this may seem like a step backwards in my woodworking career I'm looking at it as a step forwards that is a part of a general goal of simplifying life so I (and my family) can concentrate on quality time. I will still have all the power tools required for me to do on site renovation work (or thickness some boards), but at home I'd like to go exclusively hand tools for fun.

As we will likely move into a condo or apartment I would like to build a small work bench with storage underneath and a wall mounted tool cabinet that could share a spare room with a desk. Good to get this done now while I have all the big tools accessible.

What I'm interested in is hearing other peoples experiences who have done woodworking out of a small space and if possible any links to pictures of small benches and set-ups https://mechanicguides.com/best-woodworking-bench/?

Aaron
    It looks Japanese way to woodworking is a great hit there in the USA and some other places - Japanese guys are masters on space usage for obvious reasons. There are a miriad of material in the internet presenting techniques, tools, workbenches et. all.

One curious fact is (in general) Japanese loves hand tools despite they are one of the best machines developers! I have seem Japanese workshops at the size of a regular bathroom!
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Designed and built this one when I worked at Woodworker's Journal. It does sit near a big bench, but 70% of my work is done on the little bench.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.59.42 PM.png

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Designed and built this one when I worked at Woodworker's Journal. It does sit near a big bench, but 70% of my work is done on the little bench.
    Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 12.59.42 PM.png
    What a great idea! I've been noodling for some time over what sort of bench I want to build, and this would be extremely useful until I figure it out. Thanks for sharing!

I have a small HF bench from CL sitting next to my large roubo. I got it because I do other stuff (greasy or dirty work on tractors) and didnt want to ruin my woodworking bench. The plan was to move it out of the way once the tractor project done, but I didnt. And find I end up using it for at least half of the woodworking tasks at hand.

By using it, I also discovered I like the screw vices better than the leg vice of the roubo. And not being worried about hacking it up is sometimes a relief.

The only downside to it is that it isnt heavy enough. I should put some concrete in the base or something to give it weight. So you are on a good path to just build something small and simple and use it, then go from there...

I've been using the small Lervad bench as a portable bench since I bought it new in 1977. I clamp a 2x4 to the stretchers that projects out far enough to bear against a wall (as in the picture) to keep it from moving, or put one corner against a wall, depending on what I'm doing.

Tom's suggestion of an expandable bench sounds excellent. You will have a tool storage challenge. My solution is this cabinet. It has a footprint of 26" x 45" and has 17 drawers, each sized for the tools to be contained. It's surprising how many 2" deep drawers are appropriate. (no tools on top of tools, well not many) It has 103 sq ft of drawer space. Tool Cabinet.JPGrats, darn sideways pics