Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

17 Dec 2018

Greetings,
    I start oncall duty again today and my hope is that all goes well this week. But......a bit of good news.......my youngest son has met all his qualifications and been accepted in the U.S. military service. We are now waiting for his choice of jobs in the military as well as other things before going full active duty. We are so proud of him!!!!!!
    I got some things done in the mother-in-laws apartment this week as well as spending time with family as well as teaching and learning Christmas music. My #2 son, who's going to school for HVAC just finished another semester of school and now has a 4.0 GPA. He's already EPA certified on many different types of freon, he's done brazing, cutting, electrical wiring, and other things associated with HVAC work. He really likes it and loves the upper level math that he's had to do in general HVAC work. If all goes well, he will graduate in Dec 2019 (next year)! I'm one proud daddy!!!!

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    ......a bit of good news.......my youngest son has met all his qualifications and been accepted in the U.S. military service. ...
    Please tell him "thank you" for his service.

Congratulations to you and your sons, Dennis. Good reasons to be proud.

Over the weekend I was able to return to my coffee station project. I had built a lower cabinet a few weeks ago before setting the project aside for a quick(ish) job for a buddy. This weekend I began building up stock to make the 1-1/2"x1-1/2" corner stiles for an upper cabinet, or hutch.

A couple years ago there was a video posted here on building up thick stock using two outer 3/4" pieces and as many pieces as necessary in the middle to build up the necessary thickness, slicing off thinner pieces of the outer pieces to cover the edges (exploded end view below). The middle is a great place to use lesser-quality material, of which I had plenty, so I tried out this technique.
    Stock Build Up.jpg
    The result looks a little nicer than simply laminating two 3/4" pieces together, with the glue lines near the corners rather than right in the middle of the stock. If I were doing any corner treatment that would further disguise the glue lines, it might look even better. Starting out with solid stock of sufficient thickness would have been ideal, however.
    Chuck Taylor

Dennis, it's indeed great to hear the good news about your boys. I hope you have a "quiet" on-call period.

Along the same lines, my youngest who is a sophomore in college at PSU has been working for a local restaurant since she was 15. (she's now 19 and has actually been working for money since she was 12) She pretty much runs the front-of-house hosting operation including training new folks and this week was offered the additional opportunity to work back-of-house processing accounts payable and other office functions three days a week. Given she's a business major, that's a really good thing from an experience perspective. She also "has the keys" can can open in the morning if necessary and supervise/manage on days she doesn't have class. They do not normally have anyone under 21 do that, but have made an exception with her. While there are a lot of "dad challenges" with kids growing up and "adulting", especially when they live at home, there's also the joy of experiencing their successes and this is certainly one of them! My older is also doing outstanding work as a florist in a local up-scale food market, despite her difficulties with an emotional disability. We are proud of them both.

My week was generally a product development and marketing time, working on a series of "inspirational" small signs I'll put up in my ETSY shop as well as continued work on some ornaments and other things I need for holiday gifts. This is a difficult time of year to be trying to make new business relationships, but the effort can never stop. More of the same this week plus some serious shop cleaning. Even though I use dust collection religiously, CNC work still creates a lot of debris from "blowing off" and it's once again time to deal with that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Congratulations on your children's achievements, everyone.

Just a couple of hours in the shop this weekend finishing a project. I spent several hours cataloging the vacation photos. We spent a week in and around Maui, HI. Six of the eight days found us underwater snorkeling for some time. Plus a couple of days just travelling around. Went on the road to Hana, hiking in and off the road to 8-10 waterfalls. Went up to Haleakala, but the clouds were covering the peak, and we didn't see a thing. We ended up with a couple of hundred photos. I have the Photoshop Elements image package, and I got them added and labeled. Plus I put together a couple of photo albums for posting.

Had the pleasure of fixing a roof leak Sunday, boot wall leaking (i think) and water was dripping out of a light fixture. New boot and some goop, hopefully its fixed. Also picked up lumber for a table build. 4'x9' table. Picked up 10 boards, 2x8x16' pine. So far nice wood! Will have to build a sled to get it surfaced thru my planer. Will work on that this week hopefully. Will be starting a new thread about it as I get into it.
    IMG_0328.jpgIMG_0326.jpgIMG_0325.jpg

I put up the Christmas houses on the plate rail in the dining room.

I also used my biscuit joiner, it's an annual event where I use it to cut a couple of biscuit slots in the wrong location and then spend 2 hours patching the mess In this case I made 2 left gables for the spice cabinet........Sheesh, I should just through that thing in the trash.

regards, Rod.