Thread: Orientation of "brushed" or grain finishes

Orientation of "brushed" or grain finishes

Is there one of those unwritten rules that the orientation of brushed finishes should be horizontal? I have always wondered if there is a preference for vertical direction. Or maybe it depends upon the shape of the item - such as the lines match the longest direction. Such as horizontal lines on a 2" tall by 10" wide item and vertical lines on a 10" tall by 2" wide item.

I'm thinking of various brushed metallic finishes, but it could also relate to wood grain patterns too.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Brushed finish plaques and badges, and wood name badges look better horizontal but wood grain plaques should go with the longest dimension. This was what I was told when I started my business and I have always followed the advice.

As a rule, unwritten or not, horizontal seems to be the 'default'. Example, I can't recall ever seeing a stainless kitchen sink, countertop or appliance with vertical grain... But to each his own! The vast majority of grained metal I work with is horizontal. I do have one customer that likes their ID plates with vertical grain. And one of my ski-lift customers cuts and sands their own SS panels, and they don't seem to care which way the grain runs, they'll sand them both ways...

Wood usually has the grain 'the long ways' regardless...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

LOL I had to go look at our SS kitchen appliances that came with the house. Yup. Horizontal grain along with lots of lick marks from our young Great Tunga Hound.

So far, I have never had anyone specifically say they want it a certain direction but I have always gone with the grain matches the longest direction - which is almost always horizontal for the items I make.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

My "rule", like the others, is that grain follows text--horizontal text-horizontal grain. The only time I use vertical grain is when the metal is a backing for other art. In portrait oriented wood plaques the grain is always vertical.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7