Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: What are your UNIQUE TO YOU safety rules in the shop?

Tim, that's a really important thing you mention...when any of is is just "not feeling it" while in the shop, it truly is the best thing for safety to cut the lights, lock the door and do something else. Distraction is one of the most dangerous things...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tim, that's a really important thing you mention...when any of is is just "not feeling it" while in the shop, it truly is the best thing for safety to cut the lights, lock the door and do something else. Distraction is one of the most dangerous things...
    That's a great thing about having my shop near the barn but kind of central on the farm. I can take a break and feed the llamas, check on the peacocks, walk up to the horses and see how active the bees are today, or up the hill to the house for a snack then a 1/4 mile one way to the mailbox. (I tell myself the exercise offsets the snack calories!)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    That's a great thing about having my shop near the barn but kind of central on the farm. I can take a break and feed the llamas, check on the peacocks, walk up to the horses and see how active the bees are today, or up the hill to the house for a snack then a 1/4 mile one way to the mailbox. (I tell myself the exercise offsets the snack calories!)

JKJ
    Yup...other diversions/interests really do help. For me, it's cooking or reading.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I made a cup holder mounted it right over the light switch. That way I don’t forget my SS insulated mug.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    We all know the basics- wear a dust mask, don't wear long clothing around moving parts, never reach behind the saw blade... but that's not what this post is about. This post is about your own personal safety rules for your shop based on what your own past experience. I figure we can all gain from sharing this.

For example, here's mine:
    • I never bring any drinks into the shop on epoxy or varnish day, thanks to a past experience where I didn't, but almost did, take a swig of varnish instead of my water.
    • I always unlock the door when I'm in the shop alone, just in case something happens where I need to yell for help.
    • Always have some vinegar handy when using epoxy- it is the only thing I've found that takes it off skin. (That one probably isn't unique to me, except for the always having it part- it's part of my pre-epoxy checklist.)
    • Not exactly a safety tip, but I always make a little back scratcher out of scrap wood whenever I'm using epoxy, varnish, or other stuff that contaminates my gloves. I will ALWAYS get an itch right at the moment I'm wearing epoxy covered gloves. I also wear 3 or 4 layers of gloves so I can strip one off and have a fresh glove underneath.

Your turn.

Being that I spill a lot I would never put a cup holder above anything electrical. Below sure bit not above.

When using a nail gun, always keep your work-holding hand at least as far away from the business end of the nail gun, as the nail is long. I've seen nails of all sizes do a 180° turn and come out right next to where it went in.

Always turn off the portable air compressor at the end of the day. When I usually forget, it's usually right beside the bed where I'm sleeping. I go from sound asleep, horizontal to standing next to the bed in fight mode in about about 2 milliseconds when that (very loud) thing goes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    Always turn off the portable air compressor at the end of the day. When I usually forget, it's usually right beside the bed where I'm sleeping.
    Excellent general advice, even if not sleeping with the compressor. We know a gentleman who lost his shop to fire from an unattended compressor that failed to shut off. I turn the circuit to my shop compressor off every time I leave, using a disconnect switch good for 5hp motors.

JKJ
    We sold our beekeeping business and other livestock when we escaped "civilization". I do miss them...occasionally. Now we have timberland instead and all the associated wildlife. It's a great distraction and solution to an off day. Nothing to hear but the creek below and the wind in the trees.

Blog Entries
    I turn the circuit to my shop compressor off every time I leave, using a disconnect switch good for 5hp motors.
    This would be a great application for a 120 volt relay in the compressor start circuit controlled by the light switch.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold E Schnitzer View Post
    No open shoes like sandals or flip-flops allowed in my shop. For obvious reasons.
    My greatest failing, since childhood I never worn shoes unless forced to such as being at work and I feel very uncomfortable when doing so. I never wear gloves in the workshop either, dangerous uncomfortable things except while welding when burns are more uncomfortable.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I also am guilty of flip flops.

I have serious foot issues that result in major chronic foot pain. For whatever reason flip flops, sanuks and crocs are my savior.

I suppose I break all the common sense day one rules.

Before I start any operation I ask myself three questions:

What am I about to do?
    How can it hurt me?
    What am I going to do to make sure that it will not hurt me?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Watling View Post

What am I about to do?
    How can it hurt me?
    Your three questions would also work equally well for investment management and for anyone contemplating marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Watling View Post

What am I about to do?
    How can it hurt me?
    My variation is, "what am I doing, and why am I doing it?"

I tell visitors that I have only one shop rule "Don't bleed on the wood".