Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: What are your UNIQUE TO YOU safety rules in the shop?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I work alone, and so after cutting a finger off when someone scared me from behind, I now lock the door when I am doing something intense.
    A simple sign on the door saying: "if you hear tools running please wait to enter until they are turned off." Would likely solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    A simple sign on the door saying: "if you hear tools running please wait to enter until they are turned off." Would likely solve your problem.
    Someone needs to market an automated door lock that locks the door when the tools are turned on and unlocks it when they are off, just like the automatic dust collector switches.

Most people think they are special and the sign does not apply to them.

I have such a sign, but he breathes, and is 6-6, 320. He doesn't talk much, and neither does anyone else when he says be quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Exactly. So now that you have the false sense of security with the sign, you jump twice as bad. To compound my problem my shop is now in the middle of a huge state forest, so visitors that are not expected are rare and I am used to being alone.

My shop door is all glass. This means when someone walks up, it is obvious and so I see them coming. My kids and wife come out to the shop from time to time, and stand and wait for me to see them before interrupting. At first I didnt like an all glass door for fear of breaking (but it was a good price!). After having it a while, I like it.

Personally I do not like working solo without someone available to help. Even if not in the shop, I like someone around to come to the aid. Yes I have a cell phone. But I have went 'out' a couple times for other reasons (not while in the shop) and it would have been a struggle to call 911 by myself while the bp is crashing and I go to the floor. Near death experiences are humbling. Have also had a TS accident some years ago. Not as bad as it could have been. But it was nice to have someone to drive me to the ER. Ya I prolly could have made it on my own, but would have been a bloody mess all over the auto...

This list is what 'your' safety rules are. It is a personal choice (imo). There is no 1 'right' answer. But then again I believe in the right to die and to live life with the choices you make and not impose all your opinions and beliefs on others. So ya, safety becomes philosophical.

Blog Entries
    Unless your shop is in a high traffic area that is open to the public you can easily train people (family) to not enter your shop when you are running a power tool. I know it has worked for me for over45 years. They will wait quietly outside the door until it is safe for them to enter.

My kids actually gave me one of our shop rules, they learned it in shop class in high school.

When machines are running and they want my attention they flick the lights on and off, that way I know they want to talk to me, and it doesn't startle me.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Someone needs to market an automated door lock that locks the door when the tools are turned on and unlocks it when they are off, just like the automatic dust collector switches.
    Brian, i tend to disagree . . . Unless all your power tools are like SawStop and shut off. IF there is an accident while you are using a power tool and it keeps running, but you need help, the door is still locked while you bleed out . . . .

Not sure i have the perfect solution, but i think lock-outs present more negatives than positives. If you want to have something integrated to the opening of a door, perhaps 2 or 3 (depending on visual fields and size of shop) red alert lights that automatically flash several times when the door is opened. I think i would prefer that to someone turning the lights off and back on, which i also think could startle an intent-on-the-cut-in-process woodworker. YMMV, JMCO

Great thread; can never think too much about the safety of our work/play environment. Appreciate the thoughts of all who have participated. Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick McCarthy; 12-28-2018 at 9:15 AM.

I thought about something I'm somewhat anal about which is safety related in my shop..."end of day", I make sure all blades/cutters are retracted and machine surfaces cleaned off. There's nothing fun about accidentally brushing one's hand across a table saw blade's teeth that are protruding from the machine when it's not in use...well, the same could be said for when it IS in use, but I think you catch my drift...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My only, possibly unique, rule is that I never crank the shop radio loud enough to hear it while a power tool is in use. Especially the table saw. A lot of times the tool will let you know what it likes and doesn't. But you have to listen. My eldest son is in the cub scouts and a few times a year they have had the meeting at my house so that we can work on wood projects. I have a large whiteboard that I use for cut lists and use it to list shop rules for the boys. I always start the meeting by discussing shop safety and have found that allowing the boys (or so they think) to create the rules to add to the whiteboard is a better way to get them to take ownership of them.
    My number one rule never changes though: "Tools don't have brains; so use yours!"

Unless you happen to be in Canada, where people seem to be very polite.

Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I feel the same as Larry, I’ve had people startle me badly. I’m usually in the zone when working and don’t like people walking up behind me and speaking loud enough to get my attention.

My father taught me to stand aside until the person stops what they’re doing. He hated being startled while welding in a home shop.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I feel the same as Larry, I’ve had people startle me badly. I’m usually in the zone when working and don’t like people walking up behind me and speaking loud enough to get my attention.

My father taught me to stand aside until the person stops what they’re doing. He hated being startled while welding in a home shop.
    Anyone who works in manufacturing carries a similar attitude.

I used to spook easily being that I worked almost solely alone for so long. Now I'm semi impervious to it, but if I think I'm alone I'll still jump.

Which just reminded me of a landlord coming up behind me at the old shop and yelling something and scaring the snot out of me. Had something gone wrong, he wouldn't have fared well. I'm pretty sure that doofus had a missing chromosome.