Thread: Router Table Choice

Router Table Choice

Hi,

I am looking to buy a router table. I have decided to purchase a table package and not build my own table. I have narrowed my choice down to two. The Rockler table with the Rockler Pro Lift, or the Jessem table with the Mast-R-Lift Excell II. The Jessem is quite a bit more that the Rockler. I am trying to figure out if the Jessem is much higher quality to justify the price difference. Or if the Rockler will do the job fine and I should save my money. Any input would be great appreciated.
    I also like the Incra Table system, but there is a 7-9 week wait for the and I need it right away.

Thanks!

Hard to say without knowing more about what you want to do. I have a first-generation JessEm table/lift/fence. Very solid and well engineered.

I would also recommend the JessEm stock guides as very well designed hold-in/hold-down/anti-kickback devices. These work straightforwardly with the JessEm fence, don't know about the Rockler fence.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Thanks for the reply. My next few projects are small. I donplan to build some furniture in the next few months. Coffee table, end tables and credenza. I need a system that will allow me to put edges on all of that as well as set me up for any routing jobs that may come up in the future. I am basically looking to get a set up that won't have me wishing I bought something better in the future.
    The Jessem has a phenolic top vs. MDF on the Rockler I am looking at. The Rockler lift is relatively new without many reviews. The Jessem seems to be highly regarded. I am not sure how the fences compare, but the Jessem does seem a bit more substantial in build quality. I am just wondering if saving some money and buying the Rocker is going to be good enough for any job I may dream up in the future or will I end up wishing I went theother way. There is about a $350.00 difference after I get everything I want for each table.

If the extra $350 is available, get the Jessem.

I say that, not having seen either of those specific tools. But I've used and purchased other tools from both companies and there is usually a noticeable difference. Jessem is just built better.

I do have and highly recommend the Jessem Master Lift II.

Bob, I purchased the Rockler Pro-phenolic table and Incra Mast R Lift package a few years back. I think it was around $800 or so...pretty close to the jessem price. I have no expriernce with the MDF table. I can only say for hobby and doing the same type of projects you described, I’ve been happy with the set up.

I have the Incra version of the Jessem Mast-R-Lift, and it's a sweet lift. The magnetic rings--especially the clean sweep version--are really nice as well. Haven't looked at the new Rockler Pro-Lift in person, but the pics look good. The Incra magna-lock rings are awesome though. I use Incra positioners on both tables, used to use an old Rockler and a pretty good Bench Dog--Incra works for me. (not a spokes person--just use their stuff)

You might want to call Incra to check on that lead time. They keep that posted, but typically deliver sooner. You might also check the pricing for Incra packages at Carbide Processors--they tend to be pretty competitive on that brand, and may have a SMC discount. They used to do some sort of discount for signing up for their e-mail notices, not sure if they still do that.
    earl

Bob:

I do not know the Rockler product but have been using the Jessem Mast-R-Lift for a few years. My decision when I bought it was aimed at providing above the table adjustments and precise adjustments; I have been very well served on both counts. You mention being interested in the Excel model. I had considered this option but settled for the Mast-R-Lift since I did not want to have the extra adjustment mechanism sitting on the work surface - purely personal preference.

Hi Bob

I just bought a big package from incra with the Jessem mast r lift, incra positioner, etc .I was told 8-9 weeks for delivery. It arrived last week, less than 4 weeks after I placed the order. Regarding pricing, incra publishes the coupon code "wten" for 10% off. I used this coupon on my order. I can't provide any performance feedback on the lift because I haven't built my table yet, but just playing with it a little bit, I can see that it is ridiculously well made and operates very smoothly. I have a few other Jessem products and they have always impressed me. I have heard that Jessem customer service is terrible, but no first hand experience with that. So I just stopped by to tell you about the lead time and the discount. Keep us posted on what you do

I would buy a used 1.5 Hp shaper and use the money saved for buying a router spindle. Should not be more then $300 from CL. Of course CL prices will be higher in Alaska so buying new may make more sense for your area.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-16-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Thank you Everyone for the replies. I ordered the Jessem package . The package I ordered has the Excell version of the lift with the adjustment wheel on the side of the router. It also comes with the fence, stand, power switch, Inserts, digital height gauge and some feather boards. The clear cut guides look great and I will definitely get them after I recoup from the table purchase.
    I will be using it with a Bosch 1617 router. Thanks again for all of the advise.

Good choice on the Jesssem. I got the Rockler phenolic and discovered later that Rockler has a non-standard plate size. Should you decide to upgrade later, you aren't able to use other lifts in it except theirs.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

" I have heard that Jessem customer service is terrible..."

I'm pretty picky about customer service, and have had a couple of brief encounters with Jessem CS. I really think it's more "laid back" than "terrible". Maybe that makes it terrible per se, I dunno.

The only problems I've had were getting a hold of them, and them not communicating amongst themselves as well as I might like. Once I got through and managed to communicate through the confusion, they responded quite well. They seem like nice people who want to do the right thing, just need to try a little harder sometimes. I've always been impressed with the quality of their products.

Bob I think that you will like your new JessEm table...

... but if you don't, note that used JessEm items don't come up on ebay or CL too often, so they tend to hold their value like other premium brands. In the worst case, you will be able to recoup almost all of your investment.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

The table is here and all set up. Assembly was straight forward and went well. The lift is super smooth and holds my Bosch 1617 perfectly. The few test cuts I have made came out great.
    I think this is going to be a great addition to my shop. thanks to everyone for the advice.

IMG_7651.jpg