Thread: Festool Ro 90 questions

Festool Ro 90 questions

Sorry folks if this is the wrong forum but I'm new here and FOG seems to be shut down. So, my question
    to Festool users is: I seem to have read that there have been 4 iterations of the Rotex 90 and since I'm
    a cheap shopper, I've been looking for used RO 90's and would like some explanation as to their differences,
    if any. I find RO 90's and RO 90 DX's and RO 90 DX FEQ plus's, but no way to figure out if one has more
    features than the other, or if it really matters.

FOG is working perfectly fine...I just checked.

I can't answer your question, however, as I'm only familiar with the 150mm version.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't believe there have been many changes to the RO90 over time. I know the earlier kits shipped with an assortment of sandpaper that is lacking now. I have the RO 90 DX FEQ Plus and don't see any significant differences in it other than this newest version has that awful 1/4 turn bayonnet dust extraction hose attachment end whereas the earlier versions had the much more user friendly multi-ribbed end. You can see many negative comments about the newer bayonnet dust collector hose ends that so many folks on the FOG complain about, and I agree that Festool added a solution for a problem that didn't exist and made the tool worse by doing so. I would definitely look for the older style if I could find one.

Other than that, the RO90 is a very versatile, although limited use tool. The delta attachment is handy, but not as effective as their delta style dedicated sander, and the small 90mm pads don't play as well on large surface areas as the 125mm or 150mm units do.
    It has been quite useful when needed, but is often not my first choice for sanding.
    Dick Mahany.

I may be wrong, but the original RO90 was basic. The DX added the delta pad and the FEQ or plus usually has something else, but for this sander, I have no idea what it could be.